UNFPA (The United Nations Population Fund, formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities) is seeking to hire a professional for the job role of Youth and Gender Specialist, in Jaipur.
The United Nations Population Fund, formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities, is a UN agency aimed at improving reproductive and maternal health worldwide.
About the Job Role
The Youth and Gender Specialist provides technical assistance and manages UNFPA’s work in respective State, on adolescents and youth and gender equality, with special focus on gender-based violence, to accelerate achievement of the ICPD Programme of Action and Agenda 2030. You will provide technical and policy advice in these special areas and help to strategically position UNFPA’s work, ensuring linkages with UNFPA other programme components of sexual and reproductive health and population dynamics.
You will report directly to the State Programme Coordinator with strong working relationships with the Adolescent/Youth and Gender Specialists in the Country Office in New Delhi.
Programme Management and Coordination:
- Support the implementation of UNFPA supported programming in the area of adolescents and youth and gender, applying appropriate strategies and interventions relevant to the State, and for achieving Country Programme results.
- Ensure application of Corporate programme policies and procedures, including those related to budget management, monitoring and oversight.
- Contribute to the formulation of the annual work plans for the State in the area of adolescents and youth and gender, ensuring application and contextualization of appropriate best practices and latest scientific knowledge in the field of adolescent and youth development, especially adolescent reproductive health and gender equality.
- Monitor the day-to-day implementation of work plans through regular consultations with stakeholders and field visits.
- Contribute to preparedness and response to humanitarian crises in the State, ensuring adequate attention given to the needs of women and girls, and inclusion of young people during emergencies.
Policy Dialogue and Technical Support:
- Contribute to policy dialogue with Government counterparts and UN and other development partners at the State level, preparing technical briefs and evidence-based materials and data, in favour of policies and budget allocations for programmes targeting women and girls, adolescents and youth.
- Stay up-to-date with UNFPA corporate technical and programme policies and guidelines. Assess implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensure their application as relevant.
- Stay connected to national and international technical communities of practice, ensuring appropriate contextualization of new ideas, best practices, and scientific evidence in the field of gender equality and adolescents and youth development.
- Apply rights-based, gender-responsive and inclusive, and results-based approaches to programme design, implementation and reporting.
- Establish and nurture collaboration and partnerships with technical networks on adolescents and youth development and gender equality.
Advocacy and Resource Mobilization:
- Represent UNFPA in meetings with senior and technical government officials as well as multi-lateral, bi-lateral agencies, non-governmental organizations, maintain a healthy and collaborative relationship, and advocate for adolescents and youth participation and inclusion, and gender equality.
- Provide technical inputs towards advocacy efforts of the Country Office, contributing to project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor and high level visitor briefs.
- Contribute technical and evidence-based inputs to advocacy messages on the rights and needs of women and young people, especially girls in respective State.
- Engage in and strengthen technical partnerships and alliances.
- Contribute to CO resource mobilization initiatives, identifying opportunities to leverage funding from government and private sector; contribute technical inputs to concept notes and proposals writing.
- Support CO communications efforts, providing relevant state materials.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
- Advanced degree in Law and Human Rights, Psychology, Social Work, Gender Studies, Public Health, Health Economics, public policy, Sociology, Political Science, International Relations, Development Management, or related disciplines.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in managing development programmes, prior experience in managing gender and/or adolescent and youth preferred.
- Demonstrable technical expertise in adolescents and youth development, civic engagement, gender equality and gender-based violence.
- Understanding of life-skills including comprehensive sexuality education programmes, gender-based violence, child marriage, and gender-biased sex selection highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of reproductive rights and gender equality dimensions in policy and programme formulation, implementation and monitoring;
- Proven experience in coordinating/managing a multi-disciplinary team of experts and consultants.
- Ability to communicate technical and/or complex issues in a clear and articulated manner, to different types and non-technical audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to network and build partnerships with civil society and youth networks;
- Possess excellent emotional intelligence, interpersonal, negotiating, intercultural communication skills and political acumen;
- Experience in humanitarian preparedness and response is desirable.
- Fluency in English is mandatory. Working knowledge of Hindi and/or other national language highly desirable.
How to Apply?
Click here for the step-by-step guide on the application process.
Click here for the official information.