The World Justice Challenge 2019: Access to Justice Solutions is a competition to identify, recognize, and promote good practices and successful solutions to improve access to justice.
These can include solutions that reduce barriers to resolving everyday justice problems, respond to the unmet justice needs of vulnerable populations, or address systematic forms of exclusion and injustice. The World Justice Challenge is designed to highlight projects that have shown demonstrable results and impacts, and showcase promising prospects for future progress, replication, and scaling.
Themes and Requirements
This call for submissions is focused on six specific thematic areas. Preference will be given to submissions focused on the intersection of access to justice and the six themes listed below.
- Gender Equality
- Public Health
- The Environment
- Labour and Employment
- Criminal Justice
- All individuals, organizations, and entities are eligible to enter the competition and may submit multiple entries. Collaborative entries among several individuals/organizations are welcomed.
- Entries must be in English.
- All entries must be received by 8 February 2019.
Initiatives will be evaluated on potential for impact, scaling, replication, and sustainability. Submissions will be reviewed by the World Justice Challenge Selection Committee, composed of thematic sponsors alongside members of the WJP’s Board of Directors, WJP staff, and the World Justice Forum VI’s Co-Producing Partners.
World Justice Challenge finalists will:
- Present their work at the World Justice Forum VI “Realizing Justice for All” from April 29-May 2, 2019 in The Hague, Netherlands;
- Connect with hundreds of practitioners from WJP’s global network;
- Receive feedback from a broad community of peer organizations and donors;
- Reach an audience beyond Forum attendees in a feature profile on the WJP website.
Finalists are responsible for the cost of travel and accommodation to attend the Forum, although registration fees will be waived for finalists, and scholarship funds may be available on a case-by-case basis to defray costs.
Winners of the World Justice Challenge 2019: Access to Justice Solutions will be awarded a $10,000 prize during the Forum’s closing ceremony in recognition of their promise and impact. Winners will also receive ongoing support from WJP to promote the visibility, replication and scaling of their initiative, and will be invited back to the next World Justice Forum to report on progress.
- Applicants submit projects to WJP: Projects must be submitted no later than 8 February 2019.
- Selection Committee selects finalists: The Committee will review projects based on the criteria below and will notify finalists by 28 February 2019.
- Finalists present at the World Justice Forum VI: Finalists will showcase their projects at the Expo from 29 April-2 May 2019, and present their projects onstage during the Forum program.
- Voting takes place: Winning projects will be selected through Forum participant voting and thematic Selection Committees.
- Prizes are awarded: During the Forum’s closing ceremony on 2 May 2019, winners will be recognized on stage and prizes will be awarded.