About the Organiser
Sambhaavnaa Institute is located in a small village Kandwari of Himachal Pradesh which provides alternative learning and living space for those concerned with social and political change. Founded under the aegis of the Kumud Bhushan Education Society in 2004.
Sambhaavnaa’s primary objective has been to nurture value-based leadership by encouraging individuals, especially the youth, to discuss and develop a critical perspective on the ideals and ideas that define a ‘just’ society.
About the Winter School
Sambhaavnaa Institute has for the last seven years been organising a participatory, reflective and perspective-building program on ‘Rethinking Development’ called Nayi Dishayein. This program aims to interweave theory and practice, focusing on building a varied and dynamic understanding of some of the pertinent issues facing our society today. In this program, we work with young participants to:
- Deconstruct, and critically examine, the notion of development – to understand it as a field of ideas. We shall converse with a plethora of narratives and discourses surrounding this notion, and the ways in which they are constructed.
- Examine the root causes of growing inequity in the distribution of wealth and resources and opportunities, and its impacts on nature and people, in a society fractured along the lines of gender, caste, race, class, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, knowledge, and language.
- To stretch our imaginations, and re-examine and challenge our beliefs, views, convictions, and privileges resulting from the enduring power structures that stem from the social markers of caste, gender, religion, and class; and how they are linked with the notion(s) of development.
- Examine how the State and its institutions of policy-making and governance influence these power structures and vice versa.
- Assess possibilities of transformation through people’s actions, through exposure to, and dialogue on, a range of initiatives/movements towards a more just society.
The themes of the program are explored using interactive lectures, group work and group discussions, cinema, theatre of the oppressed, songs of resistance, fieldwork, self-reflections, and importantly, sharing of lived experiences by activists.
Who can Attend?
If you are in the age group of 21-28 years and seeking an engagement with the above deliberations, or you are just figuring out how to frame the questions you would want to ask yourself or trying to understand the interconnections between different issues that you see around yourself, then please join us for an intensive collective churning on them – to open up ‘nayi dishayein’ in both your thinking and hopefully, living.
Fees for the Programme
The participants would contribute an amount of Rs. 7500 / – towards workshop expenses, inclusive of all onsite workshop costs: boarding, lodging, and all the materials used in the workshop.
How to Apply?
Interested participants can fill in the application form available here.
Sambhaavnaa Institute, VPO – Kandbari, Tehsil – Palampur, District – Kangra, PIN 176061, Himachal Pradesh, India.
Phone: +91-889 422 7954