The Indian Union Debate Forum (IUDF) is a student initiative undertaken with the aim of facilitating Union-styled debates.
To be conducted on Sunday, the 11th of December, 2016 at Aiwan-E-Ghalib Auditorium, Mata Sundari Lane, I.T.O., New Delhi
IUDF 2016 provides an excellent opportunity to witness a distinguished lineup of speakers comprising of Tarek Fatah, Mani Shankar Aiyar, G.D Bakshi, Vivek Katju, Saba Naqvi, Markandey Katju debating on the motion ‘This House Believes That India should intervene in Balochistan’.
About the Debate
The Union-styled debate, modeled on the Oxford and Cambridge format, is to consist of side proposition and opposition with three speakers on each side who will be given 15 minutes each to deliver their speeches.
The debate is to be concluded within 90 minutes and will be moderated by the Chair.
After the conclusion of the speeches, questions will be invited from the floor.
A vote will be taken both prior to and on the conclusion of the debate.
The event will end with the announcement of the result of the vote.
What is a Union debate?
Union debates first gained popularity at the Oxford and Cambridge University. At the Indian Union Debate 2016, you will see:
• The event starts off with a vote – all members of the audience vote must vote for or against the motion.
• Two sides: a Proposition and an Opposition. The Proposition argues in favour and the Opposition argues against the motion.
• Each side has three speakers. Each speaker has 10 minutes to present his speech.
• The first speaker of the Proposition begins the debate. His speech is followed by the first Opposition speaker. The speeches alternate between the two sides.
• After the speeches end, an open discussion will follow where the floor is thrown open to the audience for 20 minutes. Members of the audience can address questions to the speakers directly.
• Following the open discussion, the voting process will be repeated. The results of both votes will then be announced.
I am the Admin of Lawctopus. I am for law students, of law students and by law students. I am Torts and Contracts and moots and internships. I am your boyfriend! And your girlfriend too! Mentor. Friend. Junior. Senior. I am the footnote in your research paper. Foreword in your life. The jugaad for your internship. The side gig which earns you bucks. I am Maggi. Pocket money too.