Despite being the world’s second largest market having a population of more than 1.2 billion, India remains one of the most backward countries when it comes to consumer awareness, especially with regard to a knowledge of Consumer Law.
One mention of the word ‘court’ and the fear and uncertainty in people’s minds almost becomes palpable. Brands in India are all too aware of this and thus put customer service on the backburner. The result: a general mistrust between the brand and the consumer that leads to no good.
Akosha wants to change that.
The Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship is an attempt by Akosha to bring together like-minded people from the legal field who deeply care about improving the consumer landscape in India and bring greater transparency within the system by empowering Indian consumers through active information dissemination related to consumer affairs in India.
About the Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship
The Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship is a one-year full time programme in which passionate undergraduates, graduates and professionals from the legal field will work towards improving consumer awareness in India, focussing, in particular, on bringing the details of Consumer Law to the masses.
The selected candidates will get the opportunity to research on topics related to consumer rights and laws, get hands-on exposure by conducting field trips and surveys putting themselves in the shoes of the average consumer and be an active part of India’s fastest growing consumer platform.
Among other things, the selected candidates will:
1. Write two research papers with relevance to Indian consumers or Consumer Law
2. Research and advise consumers on day-to-day problems submitted on Akosha
3. Train Akosha Consumer Advisors to answer queries related to consumer issues
4. Create and manage consumer awareness guides and campaigns for the average Indian consumer
Akosha Consumer Law Fellows will be paid a stipend of Rs.40,000 per month. In addition, the fellows will be given upto Rs. 1000 per month as travel allowance for field/survey visits.
We truly believe that the Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship will create a plethora of opportunities for the selected candidates.
Just some of the possible benefits are:
1. Pioneering research in an oft-ignored but extremely important area of law
2. Working with passionate people on a topic of national interest
3. Getting a big-picture perspective and an in-depth view of the consumer landscape in India
Who we are looking for
We look for applicants who have a deep-rooted passion for improving the dismal state of affairs when it comes to consumer awareness.
We look for multiple attributes, including but not limited to:
1. A strong drive to change the status quo of the current consumer landscape
2. A good fit with Akosha’s core principles and values
3. Keen interest in the India’s consumer laws
4. High capacity to learn and research
5. Critical thinking ability
6. Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written)
Who can apply for the Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship
1. No more than 28 years of age as on 31st May 2014
2. B.A. L.L.B. or L.L.M. from a top law school in India
3. Good academic record
How to apply
Please click on this application form link to apply for the Akosha Consumer Law Fellowship.
Last date for applying: 7th June 2014 (till 11 PM)
Official web page is HERE.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.