Applications are now open for the Teach for India 2022-24 Fellowship Program, for leaders willing to commit to long-term change.
About Teach for India
Teach For India is a non-profit organization that is a part of the Teach For All network. The fellowship recruits college graduates and working professionals to serve as full-time teachers in low-income schools for two years.
Teach for India was founded by Shaheen Mistri in the year 2007, serving New Delhi, Mumbai – Pune Highway, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru.
About the Opportunity
Teach For India is accepting applications for its Fellowship Program 2022-24, which is an opportunity for India’s brightest and most promising individuals, to serve as full-time teachers to children from underserved communities in some of the nation’s most under-resourced schools.
The Teach For India Fellowship is a 2-year, full-time, paid commitment to teaching in an under-resourced classroom in a government or low-income private school.
Teach For India is looking for leaders who are willing to commit to long-term change and have the perseverance to work hard in challenging situations.
Each Fellow is assigned a classroom in one of Teach For India’s placement cities and assigned to teach academics, values and mindsets and to give their students the access and exposure they need to reach their personal, long-term growth and vision.
The framework for leadership at Teach For India is called the Leadership Development Journey, and is centred around three commitments:
- The Commitment to Personal Transformation: Exploring who you are, your purpose, and striving to be a better person.
- The Commitment to Collective Action: Building relationships and organizing partners to multiply and deepen our impact.
- The Commitment to Educational Equity: Deepening our understanding of educational equity and committing to attaining it.
In the first year, Fellows will refine their teaching skills and will start to establish respect and trust among various stakeholders within the school community and the students. This will allow Fellows to achieve significant academic gains for students and to implement their community/school project in the second year.
- Teach For India Fellows will be paid a salary of Rs. 20,412 per month.
- If required to relocate from their home city, Fellows will be given a housing allowance ranging from Rs. 5,300 to Rs. 10,000, depending on the city in which they will stay.
- In addition, Fellows will receive an allowance for school supplies.
The cohorts include college graduates, working professionals, and entrepreneurs.
In order to be eligible to apply to the Fellowship program, you must be an Indian Citizen or an Overseas Citizen of India, you must have graduated with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree by June/July 2022, and this must be your first application to the 2022 cohort of the Teach For India Fellowship.
- Minimum Qualification: Must have completed all coursework required for your undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree equivalent) from an accredited college or university by the last week of May 2022. Your degree transcripts (graduate/postgraduate certificates) will be reviewed before an admission decision can be taken. Applicants must also pass any coursework indicated in their transcripts at the time of the interview.
- Nationality: You should be either an Indian citizen or a foreign national of Indian origin. Foreign citizens who are not of Indian origin are not eligible to apply.
- Note to Foreign nationals of Indian origin: For more information on the OCI card, please go to the website of the Ministry of Home Affairs. To apply for the OCI card, visit the Online OCI Registration Form. We recommend applying for the OCI card as soon as you have made the decision to join the Fellowship, as it takes approximately 1-3 months to receive the card.
- Commitment and Location: Must be committed to teaching and living in one of Teach for India’s placement cities (Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune) starting May/June 2022. Fellows will be full-time staff members of the schools in which they are placed and will work stipulated school hours six days a week as well as attending training and support sessions as per city requirements.
- English Fluency: You should be fluent in the English language, as Teach For India Fellows will be placed in English-medium classrooms and will be expected to teach in and attend training sessions conducted in English.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit to apply for Teach For India Fellowship.
- Leadership potential that can develop through the two-year Fellowship.
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, grit and have a high bar of excellence for themselves and others.
- They must demonstrate interpersonal skills through their interactions with various stakeholders, along with academic excellence.
Important Note for 2022 Cohort
This year, Teach for India will continue the blended model of asynchronous and synchronous learning, but as state COVID advisories permit, the team will return to classrooms full time.
Where Will you Teach?
Teach For India Fellows will be placed in low-income schools in:
All Fellows will be required to reside in one of these cities during the period of the Fellowship.
An applicant can apply only once during each selection cycle. Hence, be sure that you submit your best and also complete the online test within 72 hours of submitting the form.
Below are the application round deadlines and respective application outcome dates for the 2022 Fellowship’s selection cycle. The outcome along with any next steps will be communicated via email by end of the day on the mentioned outcome dates.
|Round||Deadline (11:59 PM IST)||Outcome|
STAGE I: Application Form and Online Test: A 1-hour online test, which focuses on your situational judgement and English language abilities. This must be completed within 72 hours after you submit the application form. Your application will be considered complete only after you submit the test.
STAGE II: The Phone Interview
STAGE III: The Assessment Centre: At our Assessment Centre you will participate in several activities, which may include teaching a 5-minute lesson, a group activity with other applicants, and a short problem-solving activity. You may also be invited to an hour-long personal interview with a Teach For India community member.
Click here for the updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
If you have a more urgent question, write to firstname.lastname@example.org