About the organisation
The University of Petroleum & Energy Studies is an Indian university located in Dehradun, Uttarakhand specialising in fields of energy and power. Established in 2003, it has been expanding its business and legal studies.
About the competition
School of Law UPES is organizing 3rd Surana International Essay Competition on Environment and Energy Law, 2019 in collaboration with Surana & Surana International Attorneys, Chennai, India.
The competition is open to students who are pursuing their five-year integrated course of Law/ LLB/LLM/PhD/MPhil or any other undergraduate/ post-graduate/ doctoral course (other than Law) in any university across the world.
If any student of UPES is positioned amongst the top three, he/she will not be eligible for the top 3 prizes but will be felicitated in recognition of his/her performance with a special prize by the Surana & Surana International Attorneys, Chennai.
Environmental Pollution and Sustainable Development
The author(s) shall register and submit the essays through this link.
The author(s) must also upload either:
- A scanned copy of the identity card (in case of co-author, both the documents must be scanned in the same file); or a scanned copy of a bona fide certificate establishing the affiliation to the institution under the signature and seal of the head of the institution.
- Only one submission is allowed per author. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
- Co-authorship to a maximum of two authors is permitted.
- The essays will be put through a plagiarism test and further assessed by the jury.
- Only original essays will be considered for the competition.
- No part of it should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication or a contest elsewhere. Moreover, plagiarism will result in disqualification of the essay.
- Neither UPES SoL nor Surana & Surana International Attorneys, Chennai will be responsible for the act of plagiarism.
- The participants must not disclose their identity in any part of the essay, failing which, they will be disqualified.
Length of the essay
- The word limit for the essay (including footnotes) is 4000 words.
- The submission of the essay must be in one single .doc/.docx format file that shall consist of an abstract, essay and bibliography.
- The length of the abstract should not be more than 200 words including the title and keywords.
- The footnotes must conform to authoritative standard rules of legal citation and must include a description of each authority adequately to allow a reasonable reader to identify and locate the authority in a publication of general circulation.
- Deadline for submission July 31, 2019
- Result declaration September 30, 2019
- First prize: 25,000 INR
- Second prize: 20,000 INR
- Third prize: 10,000 INR
- Consolation prizes: 1,000 INR each for 12 select essays.
The names of the winners will be displayed on UPES website. Separate intimation will also be sent to each of the winners.
The winners will be given the prizes in the prize distribution ceremony (schedule will be shared later). The certificate of participation will be awarded to all participants.
Top 15 selected papers will be published in the form of an edited book with an ISBN number. The list of the selected papers will be displayed on UPES website.
Ms. Shruti Reddy: Faculty Convener
Ms. Parul Sinha (+91 8265939396): Faculty Co-convener
Ms. Apoorva Sinha (+91 9559992190) & Ms. Nutan Keswani (+91 7302195244): Student Coordinators
The website link is here.
The brochure is here.
The poster is here.