Script it! Essay Competition
Taking cue from this year’s IP Day theme and to give young students an opportunity to understand the role played by intellectual property, Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust in collaboration with S.S. Rana & Co. presents Script it! The Fifth All India Essay Writing Competition.
Young minds are encouraged to focus on the World IP Day theme i.e. Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined, for their essays and hence may contemplate writing on topics related to IP, cultural creativity, Geographical Indication, Legal Aspects of File sharing, etc.
Some of the suggested topics are:
1. International IP Framework vis-a-vis protection of Cultural Properties of Indigenous People;
2. Impact of the Free Culture Movement on IP rights;
3. The Effect of ‘Home Copying’ on the market for audio-visual recordings;
4. Protection of Traditional Foods in India;
5. Socio- Economics of Geographical Indications in India;
Last Date for Submission
20th April, 2016
1. College and/or School students are invited to submit their essays focusing on themes relating to IP, Cultural Creativity, Geographical Indication, Legal aspects of file sharing etc. prior to the deadline of 20th April, 2016.
2. Qualified Experts and Judges appointed by Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust and S.S. Rana & Co. will select the best 3 essays.
3. Following this the winners will be announced in IP©onnect®, S.S. Rana & Co.’s weekly newsletter on April 26, 2016 i.e. World IP Day.
Rules for Participation
1. The competition is open only to School and College students (Students graduating in 2016 can also apply);
2. The participants shall mention the following on the front page in bold letters –
a) Name of the participant(s);
b) Name of the Academic Institution;
c) Contact details including phone number and postal address;
d) Copy of School/College Id-Card;
e) Participants should mention “Script it! ™ World IP Day- Fourth All India Essay Writing Competition” in subject line;
3. Entries must be original and in English language only;
4. Only a single entry will be accepted from one participant. Co-authorship (up to 2 authors) is also permitted;
5. The competition is open to essays of up to 3,000 words for School students and 4500 words for college students. Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified;
6. The essay shall be disqualified if it is plagiarized. Due credit should be given to the concerned author and/or publisher(s) in Bibliography and/or Reference, as the case may be, in proper 19th bluebook edition;
7. Summary of the best essay will be published on April 26, 2016.
8. The copyrights of the essay shall vest with Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust and S.S. Rana & Co.;
9. All entries are to be sent by e-mail to [email protected] Participants can also upload their essay(s) on the Script it! ™ web portal, click HERE.
10. All entries are to be sent only in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or .pdf format.
1. The Awards would be given to students in two categories: a) College and b) School;
2. Winners in the college category will be awarded prizes(s) worth Rs. 7,500 and winners in the school category will be awarded prizes(s) worth Rs. 5000, along with a certificate and an opportunity to author an article on any forthcoming issue of IP©onnect® of his/her choice.
3. Second and third runner ups in the college category would be presented prize(s) worth INR 5,000 and INR 2,500 respectively along with certificates;
4. Second and third runner ups in the school each category would be presented prize(s) worth INR 2,500 and INR 1,000 respectively along with certificates
5. The Top Three Winners in the college category will be given an opportunity for a paid Internship at the Firm.
6. Other deserving participants shall also be presented with certificates;
For further information, please write to us at [email protected] or call us at 91-11-3056 2000.
For further details, click HERE.