About the conference:
All Children have rights. Children’s rights are human rights for children.
They flow most comprehensively and directly from the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) (among other human rights treaties).
The CRC, which can be termed as a Bill of Rights for Children, is a global treaty providing for a wide variety of rights embracing standards in health care, education, work, adoption, development participation and many others.
As the most successful human rights treaty ever to be adopted by the United Nations on the situation of children, the CRC provides for survival rights, protection rights, participation rights and rights against exploitation for all who are below 18 years of age.
The need to protect the rights of children can hardly be emphasized.
It is necessary to do so intrinsically, but also to contribute to the creation of strong and flourishing societies. Protecting their rights is also a legal obligation imposed on all Countries of the world (except two who have not ratified UNCRC).
India is one of the Countries which have paid a great deal of legal and policy attention to the rights of children based on (among others) her Constitutional Commitments.
There have been a number of laws/policy interventions seeking to protect the rights of Indian children in various areas of their life and experience. However, their ambit of protection and realization are a matter of debate.
The fact that India is also a country with thousands and thousands of underprivileged children also needs to be kept in mind when we think of the implementation aspects of the child-related laws. It is in this context that the Department of Criminal Law and Human Rights of the Saveetha School of Law is organizing this International Conference on Child rights.
This Conference seeks to examine and evaluate all Indian laws and policies on the situation of children with a view to find out the schisms between international principles, Indian Laws and the state of Indian children.
It is also meant to explore the ways and means of enhancing their rights going forward to ensure a better living environment for children everywhere.
Call for papers/posters:
Research posters/papers are invited from the academicians, researchers, practitioners, social workers and students on the broad themes given below.
- Poster Presentation is on 3rd March, 2019.
- Paper Presentation is on 4th March, 2019
- Child Rights: International, Regional and National Framework
- Child Rights and Personal Laws
- Child Rights and Sexual Abuse
- Children and Armed Conflict
- Rights of Disabled Children
- Child Rights Against Economic Exploitation
- Rights of Child Refugees
- Role of Functions of National Commission for Protection of Children
Posters/Papers are invited in any one of the above themes. The list of themes is only illustrative. Themes that are not found above and which are of core relevance to the Conference may also be entertained.
Publication of papers/posters:
The o rganizers propose to publish posters and papers that will be selected as the best papers/posters, as an edited book with ISBN Number.
- For poster presentation: INR 500/poster
- For all paper presenters and participants: INR 2000
Mode of payment:
Bank Details: Karur Vaysa Bank
Account No. 1248135000002593
Account Name: Saveetha School of Law
IFSC Code: KVBL0001248.
- Last Date for Sending Poster Soft Copy: 25/2/2019 at [email protected]
- Last Date for Sending Full Paper: 18/2/2019 at [email protected]
- Intimation Regarding Selection of Papers : 20/2/2019
- Dates of the Conference: 3rd and 4th March, 2019
Travel and accommodation:
- The participants are required to make their own travel arrangements for accommodation. However limited numbers of rooms are available in University Guest Houses on payment basis.
- All Participants will be provided with Working Lunch, Tea/Coffee with snacks at the Venue of the Seminar.
- No T.A/ D.A will be provided to the participants. They need to bear their own expenses.
- Dr. Pandia Raj, Associate Professor, SSL, SIMATS – 9962413021
- Ms. Niranjana, Assistant Professor, SSL, SIMATS -8608592300
- Dr. Sreeya B, Associate Professor, SSL, SIMATS – 9962250236
- Ms. C. Renuga, Assistant Professor, SSL, SIMATS – 9790964920
- Ms. Arya R., Assistant Professor, SSL, SIMATS – 9790952630
M.M. Convention Centre, Saveetha Dental College Campus, Saveetha School of Law, SIMATS,
No. 162, Poonamallee High Road, Velappanchavadi,
Poonamallee, Chennai – 600 077
Click here for the official link.