In the garb of ensuring safety of girls, the administration at RMLNLU, Lucknow is practicing a sly form of moral policing [See ‘List of Issues’ below].
The representatives of girl students from all years had a meeting with the VC after which he ordered a “High Powered Committee” consisting of various faculty members to “deliberate” into the points put forward to them.
According to one student the VC at RMLNLU refuses to give the students any right “to question the rationale ” and has threatened the students that the administration will “throw them out of the university”.
According to one student “The administration is picking people who spoke in front of them or were seen there or weren’t even a part of it. They don’t stop here. They called-up students’ parents and asked them to meet and ended up warning them about their ward’s future. If the protests of any kind continue they will be considered responsible and reprimanded. The admin has been picking on the ‘leaders of this protest’ and bullying them”.
2. Extension of Library timings till 11 pm if not more and Girls in-timing to follow suit. Subsequently whatever security is required is the responsibility of the administration to provide and the same is not a reason to prevent us from accessing the library after 9.3. All Students should be allowed to leave the campus premises from 5:00 am in the morning till 8:30 pm.Applications to be provided only for situations where a student is leaving the hostel for overnight, except for localites; a specified list of localites to be maintained.4. A student body (of only Female students) to be constituted to handle the day-to-day administration and problems of the Girls of this University.
5. Please make the Gender Sensitization Cell more active and approachable.
6. When a rule/order is passed then it should be in writing, with full disclosure of reasons and the authority passing the rule. A hearing to be provided to address any issues that the Girl Student Body might have with the said rule/order.
7. Wardens/Matrons/Guards to have a respectful behavior/attitude towards girls, no name-calling, no innuendos (Character assassination)
8. Respecting our individual choices. We decide when to go to the gym or take a walk with whoever we want; wearing what we feel is comfortable by choice or due to need.
Please guide us and help us in making the right choices to make our lives better but ultimately give us the liberty to choose. Please, treat us like with respect.
9. We’re not “inmates” of RML’s Jails. We can choose the best way to reach classes, the backdoor or the main door. Imposing frivolous restrictions will not be tolerated.
10. Applications to get permission to leave the University. Please make a note of all the localites and make sure they don’t have to give an application everyday/ every week. Writing our names in the register outside at the gate is enough sirs/ma’ams.
11. Stop barricading the back door. If a girl goes out she’s not “running away”, stop defaming them. It’s a shorter way to reach classes, let us use it.
12. Let us order food from outside. Don’t stop delivery guys from coming in. We just want food, we’re not in anymore danger from the delivery guy than we are from the mess workers who roam around our hostel the whole day, till 11 at night.
13. We pay the same fees. We don’t have single rooms when guys have had it since 2nd year. Reduce our fees or provide us with single rooms. There are unused buildings all around. Please make the effort and come with an idea and take action.
14. The washrooms conditions are bad and there is insect-infestation. Dengue is spreading; there are rats in our rooms every day. These are the living conditions we pay for every year.
COMPARISON OF LIBRARY TIMINGS OF NLUs IN INDIA
Name of the University
Size of the Campus
8.30 am- 3am
9.30 am- 9.00pm
Rules in all the other institutions except RMLNLU are same for Girls and Boys.
I am the Admin of Lawctopus. I am for law students, of law students and by law students. I am Torts and Contracts and moots and internships. I am your boyfriend! And your girlfriend too! Mentor. Friend. Junior. Senior. I am the footnote in your research paper. Foreword in your life. The jugaad for your internship. The side gig which earns you bucks. I am Maggi. Pocket money too.