Applications are now open for The Rhodes Scholarships for India 2023, till August 1, 2022. Find complete official details on their website. Read carefully before applying.
About the Rhodes
The Rhodes Scholarship programme is the oldest (established 1903) international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the programme offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities.
Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others, and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
How Does it Work?
Each year, there are five Scholarships available for India. The first Indian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1947, and since that time over two hundred Indians have been awarded the Scholarship.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI cardholders do not satisfy the Indian citizenship criteria for this purpose.
- Education/Residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either
- (i) completed a school-leaving exam (10th or 12th standard or equivalent) at a school in India, or
- (ii) have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age: You must meet either of the below criteria:
- Upon October 1, 2022, you must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after October 1, 1998 and on or before October 1, 2004).
- OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
- Upon October 1, 2022, you must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after October 1, 1995 AND
- You have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first undergraduate degree on or after October 1, 2021*
- Academic Achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June/July 2023) your undergraduate degree with First Class, or equivalent. Successful candidates typically feature within the top few ranks of their graduating classes. Please note: only one of the five available Scholarships (and, in exceptional cases, two) may be awarded in aggregate to
- candidates who are pursuing, or have pursued, their undergraduate studies at a university located outside India and
- inter-jurisdictional Candidates.
- If unsuccessful in your first application to the Rhodes Scholarships, you may subsequently re-apply only once more (and this must be in the same constituency), subject to meeting the eligibility criteria
Courses for Rhodes Scholarship
Please visit the ‘Conditions of tenure ’ page for further details
How to Apply?
- You can apply online from June 1, 2022 at the website via the scholarships tab.
- While applying for the scholarship, you should read carefully the general information.
- If you are longlisted you will be invited to attend a preliminary interview, which may be held in person or via video conference.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social engagement (a tea or dinner with the selection committee hosted by the Chairman) and a final interview.
- Interviews will be held between September-November 2021.
- No candidate will be selected without an interview. The granting of an interview is entirely within the discretion of the Selection Committee. A domestic travel allowance for candidates invited for the final interview will be paid by the Rhodes Trust. International travel will not be reimbursed.
- All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application.
- Applications must be submitted online by 23:59 IST, Monday, August 1, 2022.
- References must be written in English and must be uploaded by 23:59, IST, August 16, 2022.
- The completed form must reach the Registrar by no later than noon GMT Friday November 25, 2022 (5:30 PM Friday, Indian Standard Time (IST))
Wondering why should you apply for this prestigious and one of the most competitive scholarships?
Click here to read and know more: 4 Reasons Why Everyone Should Apply for the Rhodes Scholarship