With Mediation gaining traction in the recent times as a preferred means of dispute resolution, the Alternative Dispute Resolution Cell (ADRC) of Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab, in association with The Peacekeeping and Conflict Resolution Team (PACT), is pleased to announce that it is organizing a first-of-its-kind Mediation Competition, the first edition of RGNUL Sports & Entertainment Law National Mediation Competition, 2019.
12 April 2019 -14 April 2019
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Bhadson-Patiala Rd, Sidhuwal, Punjab 147001
About the Competition
The RGNUL Sports & Entertainment Law National Mediation Competition, 2019 aims to provide a platform that reflects the ever-growing expectation of clients to utilize other cost-effective alternative dispute resolution mechanisms to trial. It is an ideal platform to test theory in practice by allowing the participants to represent all parties in the mediation process i.e. the client, the mediation counsel, and the mediator.
The appealing and ever-growing field of Sports and Entertainment Law has been selected for this competition to expose the participants to a situation where the interests of clients are multifold, often going beyond merely commercial interests. The participants are expected to take a multi-dimensional approach in reaching a settlement, showcasing the variety of fields which can be effectively be dealt with via mediation. We would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to Krida Legal, our chief advisory organisation, for formulation of the problems.
Since the aims of ADRC and PACT are alike, they have decided to work together to organize this competition.
Each participating team shall consist of a Client-Mediation Counsel pair (i.e., the Negotiation Team) and one student as the Mediator. The Negotiation Team and the Mediator will compete separately. A maximum of 30+2 teams will participate (refer ‘declaration of participation’). There will be 2 preliminary rounds, and quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the finals.
- The competition is open to full-time law students (5-year and 3- year course) registered in any university in India for the academic year 2018-2019.
- Only students studying Law may participate in the competition. The competition is not open to LLM students.
- Each University may nominate up to 2 teams to participate in the competition.
Awards, including cash prizes, will be given for the following:
- Winning Negotiation Team
- Runners-up Negotiation Team
- Winning Mediator
- Runners-up Mediator
- ‘Best Negotiation Team’ in the Preliminary Rounds
- ‘Best Mediator’ in the Preliminary Rounds
- ‘Best Mediation Plan’ in the Preliminary Rounds
Additionally, two Meritorious Negotiation Teams – the Winning Negotiation Team and another, selected by The PACT jury at the competition, will be awarded automatic qualification to represent India in Singapore, at the International Mediation Competition to be hosted by SIMI, in August 2019.
And the Winning Mediator will be awarded an internship opportunity for up to 6 weeks with the Pepperdine School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
Further, Global Academy for Advocacy in Dispute Resolution will also be providing scholarships to the Winners and meritorious participants to attend the GAADR Programme.
- Each participating team shall consist of a Client-Mediation Counsel pair (i.e., the Negotiation Team) and one student as the Mediator. The registration form requires teams to specify the roles of each individual member. The roles which have been pre-assigned by the team will be carried forward throughout the competition. Change of roles after the registration will not be permitted.
- Teams must complete the provisional registration by submitting the Google Form latest by March 17, 2019.
- Upon selection by the organizing committee, teams must complete the payment of the registration fee within a period of 48 hours. Details for payment of the registration fee will be notified to the teams upon selection.
- The Registration Fee is Rs. 6,000/- per team, which is inclusive of cost of accommodation, food, competition kit and training sessions as arranged for by the organizing committee.
- Final registration of the teams is subject to the successful payment of the registration fee within the stipulated time.
Selection of Teams
- The teams will be registered on a ‘first come first served’ basis.
- The registration is restricted to a maximum of 30 teams for this competition.
Declaration of Participation
- A maximum of 2 teams from the host University (i.e., RGNUL, Punjab) will compete at the competition, thus making the maximum number of participating teams 32 in total.
- The organizing committee for this competition has no conflict of interest to declare.
- Last date for Provisional Registration: March 17, 2019
- Release of Competition Problem: March 30, 2019
- Last Date for Seeking Clarifications: April 3, 2019
- Release of Clarifications: April 5, 2019
- Competition Dates: April 12-14, 2019
All queries and requests for information can be directed to the organizing committee at our official email ID: [email protected]
Dr. Gurmanpreet Kaur: 9501034463
Komal Parakh: +91-84272-54621
Organising Committee Head:
Uday Agnihotri: +91-98150-92215