RGNUL and RGNIIPM (Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Intellectual Property Management) are organizing a Webinar on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), on September 27, 2021.
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL) is an autonomous National Law University (NLU) established by the RGNUL Act (No. 12 of 2006) passed by the legislature of the State of Punjab, under the second wave of reforms instituted by the Bar Council of India. Established in 2006, RGNUL has garnered a pan-India reputation as a stellar institution for legal research and education. In May 2015, RGNUL became the first and the only NLU to have accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an ‘A’ grade. In March 2018, RGNUL was amongst the four NLUs to have been granted autonomous status by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Intellectual Property Management has been established at Nagpur as a National center of excellence for training, management, research, education in the field of Intellectual Property (IP) Rights. The main objectives of this institute are to cater to the need of training of Examiners of Patents, Designs, Trademarks, and Geographical Indications, IP professionals, IP managers, imparting basic education to user communities, government functionaries and stakeholders involved in the creation, commercialization, and management of intellectual property rights, facilitate research on IP related issues including preparation of study reports and policy analysis of relevance to Government. Apart from this, the Rajiv Gandhi NIIPM addresses the needs of increasing the general awareness and understanding of Government officers and users of IP systems including in universities and other educational institutions.
CIIPR is a recent initiative of RGNUL, Punjab under the able leadership of Prof. (Dr.) Naresh Kumar Vats with an aim to provide education and training opportunities in the field of IPR and also foster research activities amongst the student body. The Centre has already begun undertaking innovative projects such as the National Competition on Legal Innovation & Legal Startups – 2021, “Promoting the Culture of Legal Entrepreneurship” in collaboration with Legal StartUps, New Delhi.
About the Webinar
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) with special reference to patent plays a vital role in enhancing the socio-economic prosperity of the country. The economic functioning of IPR can be thought of as minimization of transaction costs (search, bargain, and enforcement) and the optimization of time to fruition and avoidance of duplication. One can agree that the first best IPR policies are not only to minimize the transaction costs and conflict of interests but they provide incentives to invest in innovation which in turn maximizes the wealth of a nation. Hence, it enhances motivation to disseminate scientific and technological information which in turn stimulates research and development for the improvement of the quality of life.
In India, patent applications can be filed by a patent agent or an individual having some scientific and technical background to understand the invention. However, no one can understand the invention better than the inventors themselves. Document preparation requires healthy discussions between the inventor and agent. For inventors, a good understanding of patent writing style cåtly facilitate the documentation process. Before filing the patent application inventor must be sure that the subject is eligible for patent protection, the invention has something new, the invention is not obvious and is not easily predictable from the general consensus, and the invention has practical application.
Thus, there is a need to create large public awareness about the pivotal role of IPR in the globalized knowledge economy with special reference to patent drafting and its filing procedure. With this view to create awareness on the significance of patenting to the people from various sectors in the country, the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law in collaboration with the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Intellectual Property Management, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade and Government of India, is organizing an online Workshop on Patent Drafting, on September 27, 2021, from 3-4 PM.
The workshop is intended to impart first-hand exposure to current IP practices in India and the focus of deliberations would be on the aspects of prior art search, documentation, establishing patentability, claims drafting and interpretation, and much more.
- To disseminate the basic, know-how of preserving and protecting one’s Intellectual property Rights;
- To provide an understanding of basic concepts of IPR related terminology;
- To facilitate the emancipation of the significance of intellectual property protection in the context of the current developments; To guide individuals about patent drafting.
Who should Attend?
- Students across various disciples such as Law, Engineering, Medicine, Business/Finance, Bio-Technology, etc.
- Young Innovators and Entrepreneurs looking to learn the basics of Patents and IPR.
- Practitioners such as IPR attorneys, Patent and TMR Agents, and Legal Advisors and Consultants.
- Academicians such as Professors, Lecturers, Research scholars, Trainers, etc. engaged in the field.
- Professionals from Industries, Research & Development Scientists, etc.
- Doctors, Engineers, Pharma professionals, Chartered Accountants, Government officials, and other professionals engaged in related fields.
- Or any other interested individual.
The online workshop will be conducted on 27 September 2021, 3-4 PM IST.
Mrs. Pooja Maulikar, Examiner of Patents and Designs, RGNIIPM.
- Participation in the workshop is free of cost.
- All interested individuals are requested to register themselves before the event, through the Google Form (link given at the end if this post) by September 25, 2021, 11:59 PM.
- Subsequently, a Cisco Webex link will be shared with successfully registered participants.
- Prof. (Dr.) G. S. Bajpai (Patron-in-Chief)
- Prof. (Dr.) Naresh Vats
- Dr. Shiva Satish Sharda, Assistant Professor of Law, RGNUL: +91-9815093970
- Nalinaksha Singh, Student Coordinator: +91-9928696355
- Nayoleeka Purty, Student Coordinator: +91-8340275155