RGNUL’s CADR (Centre for ADR) is organizing a Joint Colloquium on Institutional ADR from the 27th to the 28th of November 2021.
About the University
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law [RGNUL] is a National Law University located in Patiala, Punjab, India. It was established in 2006 by the Punjab Government as a university dedicated to the field of Legal Education.
About the Centre
The Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution (CADR) at RGNUL, has been established to promote students’ and researchers’ interest in Alternative Dispute Resolution constituting dispute resolution methods like Arbitration, Negotiation, Mediation and Conciliation and it aims to promote and develop ADR as a vehicle of socio-economic and political justice. The ultimate objective of the Centre is to strengthen the ADR mechanism in the country by emerging as a platform for students to further their interests in the field. A strong team of teachers and students is working towards achieving this end.
About the Joint Colloquium
CADR is organizing a Joint Colloquium on Institutional ADR from the 27th to the 28th of November 2021. The event would be organized in the form of a panel discussion, where various representatives from invited institutions shall discuss topics of concern in institutional arbitration and mediation, and their propagation in India.
The objective of the colloquium is to ensure propagation and critical discourse on institutional ADR, especially for undergraduate students and those new to the field of ADR.
Format & Potential Themes
The event is staged to be graced by national and international virtuosos from highly renowned institutions. The Colloquium will consist of two discussions held across two days, 27th and 28th November 2021, from 11 AM to 2 PM IST.
Both discussions will be on different themes and include different panellists from associating organisations listed below, along with a moderator and host.
Discussion I – November 27 (11 AM – 2 PM IST):
- The Singapore Convention on Mediation and its potential role in the rise of Institutional Mediation in India;
- Is it beneficial for institutions to diversify into offering multiple centralized ADR mechanisms?
Discussion II – November 28 (11 AM – 2 PM IST):
- Setbacks faced by international institutions in the Indian ADR setup;
- Hybridization of the UNCITRAL rules into practical institutional models and the road ahead.
The confirmed panellists for the discussions so far include:
Discussion I – November 27
- Mr. Gauhar Mirza (Partner, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. [SAM])
- Ms. Ekta Bahl (Partner, Samvad Partners and Empanelled arbitrator at Centre for Mediation and Conciliation, Bombay [CMC])
- Ms. Smrithi Ramesh (Director at the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, [ICDR])
- Dr. Rajesh Sharma (Professor at RMIT University, Melbourne and an Empanelled Arbitrator at Korean Commercial Arbitration Board)
- Mr. Pranav Budihal (Associate Counsel, Singapore International Arbitration Centre [SIAC])
- Ms. Apoorva Bishnoi (Research Fellow, Centre for Trade and Investment Law [CTIL] – Ministry of Commerce and Industry)
Moderated by: Mr. Anubhab Sarkar (Partner, Triumvir Law)
Discussion II – November 28
- Mr. Tejas Karia (Partner, SAM)
- Mr. Ibrahim Shehata (Partner, Shehata & Partners, Egypt)
- Ms. Shweta Bidhuria (Head (South Asia), SIAC)
- Ms. Apoorva Bishnoi (Research Fellow, CTIL)
- Mr. A.J. Jawad (Empanelled Arbitrator at CMC)
- Ms. Iram Majid (Indian Institute of Arbitration & Mediation)
Moderated by: Dr. Rajesh Sharma (professor at RMIT University, Melbourne and an Empanelled Arbitrator at Korean Commercial Arbitration Board).
CADR invites professionals, academicians, government dignitaries, students and other stakeholders associated with the field of ADR to register for the event. Only 150 seats are reserved for the event. Preference shall generally be provided on the basis of the designation of the participant. Certificates for the event shall be provided.
For registration please follow the link:
In case of queries contact:
- Kushagra Gupta (Convenor): +91-9818650745
- Kabir Chaturvedi: +91-9148905381