The UNIC or United Nations Information Center of New Delhi is looking is inviting applications for the internship opportunity in public information.
About the Organization
The United Nations Information Centers (UNICs) belong to the Information Centres Services (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD) of the Department of Global Communication (DGC). The UNICs are the principal sources of information about the United Nations system in the countries where they are located. They are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of and supports the aims and activities of, the United Nations by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
About the Opportunity
This internship is located in the United Nations Information Centre in New Delhi, India.
The minimum duration of an internship is two months. This period can be extended up to a total period of six months, pending on the needs of the department
The internship is UNPAID. UN interns work full-time, five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The intern will support UNIC staff in implementing UN campaigns and events for the duration of the internship. Some of the ongoing key campaigns of the UN are:
- Climate Change
- Support the UNIC team in generating content for the website and social media platforms.
- Conduct research and background work for events and campaigns
- Provide organizing and logistical support for events.
- Assist the UNIC/UNRC, joint communication team, with events and campaigns.
- Other daily responsibilities based on the needs and the individual’s background.
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); OR
- be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); OR
- have graduated with a university degree (as defined above);
- Be computer literate in standard software application;
- Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and
Skills and Competencies Required
- Effective communication skills
- Client Orientation
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
The internship application must include the following:
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. No incomplete application will be accepted.
The Cover Note must include the following:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date (when will you be graduating from the programme)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List your top three areas of interest/department preferences
- Explain why you are the best candidate for that specific department (s)
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience. However, interest in sustainable development goals is important. Excellent writing skills in English and skills in digital and traditional communication would be desirable.
List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in using, and explain why you are the best candidate for the internship and what you hope to gain from the internship.
Click here for detailed, official information.
Please Note: In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.