Nazdeek is a legal capacity-building organization committed to bringing access to justice closer to marginalized communities in India. Nazdeek works to advance social and economic rights through civic training, community mobilization, and access to judicial and non-judicial remedies with a core focus on women from marginalised communities. We believe that the law can be an effective tool in overcoming discrimination and marginalization.
Two of our main projects are:
1. Improving access to labour and health rights of tea plantation workers in Assam;
2. Strengthening housing and health rights of slum dwellers in Delhi. We are now bringing our advocacy model to work in the state of Tamil Nadu with a primary focus on labour and constitutional rights issues
This Program Officer (Consultant) position is based in New Delhi (40 %) and Tamil Nadu (60 %) for our rights-based legal and organizing work.
The position offers an opportunity to engage in participatory research and community engagement while gaining advocacy experience in the growing field of legal empowerment.
Our ideal applicant is a mid-level professional who likes to travel, has strong writing and communications skills, has a working knowledge of labour law, and is experienced with conducting fieldwork, taking interviews, and mobilizing communities.
Responsibilities of the consultant include:
- Undertaking legal and policy research on labour issues in Tamil Nadu with a special focus on textile & garment and tea industry.
- Conducting extensive field research in identified areas; interacting with a variety of high-level stakeholders, community leaders, workers, and activist groups; and collecting data through quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Developing innovative participatory tools and methodologies for data collection and reporting
- Engaging and coordinating with diverse stakeholders to create partnerships fundamental to community mobilization work
- Participating in strategic program management by identifying potential areas for Nazdeek’s ongoing interventions, including legal capacity-building, data collection, development of grievance redressal mechanisms, etc.
- Managing site visit logistics, creating and tracking budgets for events and meetings, writing summaries and reports of our data collection and research, and maintaining detailed records.
- Ensuring project deliverables are completed according to the project timeline.
Required qualifications and skills:
Education: Applicants must either possess a Masters degree in social sciences, labour welfare, or other related disciplines with a human rights focus or an LLM (preferred) or LLB with experience in labour law.
- Excellent English and Tamil communication, research, documentation, and writing skills.
- 3 years of experience in program administration and implementing projects around women’s and workers’ rights, preferably in the labour sector in Tamil Nadu.
- Field experience working with vulnerable communities in advancing rights.
- Ability to manage fieldwork with the support of supervisory staff.
- Thorough knowledge of human rights, and gender issues.
- Ability to work under pressure and communicate effectively with a diverse audience, ranging from workers in at-risk communities to government officials and international organizations.
- Fluency in written and spoken Tamil.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Basic knowledge of Hindi.
Compensation and other benefits:
Salary: Commensurate with experience and in-line with average non-profit sector in India. Nazdeek is a small organization; however, we strive to provide our staff with the support and flexibility they need.
The position allows for great career development opportunities, including travel and networking.
Duration: 4 month contract, with the possibility of extension.
Hours: 40 hours per week.
Location: Tamil Nadu and New Delhi, India.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
How to apply:
Please note that candidates must hold a valid work permit/visa for India. Nazdeek is unable to support candidates in obtaining work or volunteer visas.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be considered incomplete if it does not include a cover letter and writing sample. Please mention the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.