About MNLU, Nagpur
Maharashtra National Law University Nagpur is a National Law University located at Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. It is the 19th National Law University established in India by The Maharashtra National Law University Act 2014, passed by Maharashtra Legislature under the Maharashtra Act No VI of 2014.
About the Course
PhD Degree Programme-2019
The University is inviting applications from the eligible candidates for its PhD Degree Programme-2019.
Eligibility for Admission
To be admitted to the candidature for a PhD Degree Programme an applicant shall have:
Obtained a Master’s Degree in law (regular mode) from any recognized University including a foreign University securing not less than 55% marks or its equivalent.
Obtained a Master’s Degree (regular mode) in any discipline from a recognized University including a foreign University with not less than 55% marks or its equivalent.
Provided that the candidate with qualifications in sciences, social sciences and humanities may pursue his / her research interfacing with public policy or law.
Provided further that the candidate whose final result of the qualifying examination is awaited, for any reason, shall be allowed to appear provisionally in the admission test. Such candidate shall have to produce the final result of the qualifying examination at the time of the final presentation of his/her PhD proposal.
Provided further that the requirement of 55% marks or its equivalent at Master’s Degree is relaxed to 50% marks or its equivalent in case of candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non- creamy layer) and Specially Abled Persons (SAP).
A Judge who has served for a minimum three years as a Judge of High Court in India or Judge of the Supreme Court of India.
The candidate who has passed the Company Secretary examination conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) and has been awarded the Associate Membership of the Institute (ACS) and having a Bachelor Degree in Law from a recognized University through regular stream shall be eligible for admission to the programme. Provided that the research he/she wishes to pursue interfaces with a special focus on public policy or law.
The candidate who has passed the Charted Accountants examination conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi and has been awarded Membership of the Institute and has a Bachelor Degree in Law from a recognized University through regular stream shall be eligible for admission to the programme. Provided that the research he/she wishes to pursue interfaces with a special focus on public policy or law.
NOTE: The Vice-Chancellor may permit a faculty member of the Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur to take up PhD Degree Programme along with his/her teaching assignment in the interest of faculty development provided that his/her teaching assignment(s) and other responsibilities do not hamper in any way and fulfil the eligibility conditions prescribed in these Regulations.
The University has decided to conduct the All India Entrance Test (AIET) for PhD. Degree Programme 2019 at Nagpur only.
Categories of Enrolment
- Enrolment for the PhD Degree Programme shall ordinarily be full-time. The candidate shall put in a minimum of three years, including course work during which the candidate is required to stay at the university for a minimum period of 12 months. There shall thus, be a provision for the candidate to earn credits for research work done outside the University.
- Six years shall be the maximum period in which a full-time candidate shall complete the research work and submit it for evaluation.
- A part-time candidate shall put in a minimum of four years, including course work, of part-time study at the University including time spent for research at any other place with the permission of the Supervisor.
- Provided that the part-time candidate shall put in residence in the University for at least a total period of twelve months spread over the four-year period.
- Six years shall be the maximum period in which the part-time candidate shall complete the research work and submit it for evaluation.
How to apply?
The applications form is here.
The filled-in form should be sent along with a Demand Draft for Rs.2,000/- (for Indian Nationals) and Rs.4,000/- (for Foreign Nationals) drawn in favour of “Registrar, Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur ” payable at Nagpur. The duly filled-in application form must reach the Office of the Registrar on or before October 24, 2019, either by post or courier.
Applications received after the last date shall not be entertained.
Address for sending the Filled-in Application Form:
OSD (Academics), Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur, Moraj Design and Decorators (DnD) Building, Adjacent to MIHAN Fly Over, Near HP Oil Depot, Khapri, Wardha Road, Nagpur-440018, Maharashtra, India.
Landline number: 0712-2812607