About the University
The Gujarat National Law University is a public law school and a National Law University established under the Gujarat National Law University Act, 2003 in the state of Gujarat. The university is located at Gandhinagar, which is the capital of Gujarat and is located 23 kilometers north of the city of Ahmedabad.
About the Programme
PG Diploma in Biotechnology, Law and Policy has been designed to impart knowledge of law related to biotechnology, which is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world. This interdisciplinary programme will lay a strong foundation for understanding the interplay between biotechnology, law and regulation, and prepare students to meet the rising demand for biotechnology policy expertise to control the potential risks associated with the use of modern biotechnology products.
The programme covers various areas of biotechnology law, regulatory issues, and also explores related areas such as law and genetics, research on human tissues and stem cells, biosecurity, biobanks and gene patents. It reviews the implications of strategic ethical, legal, and regulatory choices that add value to the biotechnology firm, customers, and society. The programme consists of eight courses spread over two semesters:
|Semester I||Semester II|
- Indian Legal System: A Primer Science of Biotechnology
- Regulation of Biotechnology
- Biotechnology and Intellectual Property Rights
- Biotechnology and Human Rights
- Biotechnology and Environmental Law
- Biotechnology and International Trade Law
Aims and Objectives
- Generating awareness amongst different stakeholders of biotechnology which primarily includes, but is not limited to, researchers, at various levels in different government and private organizations of the state. Awareness is believed to be necessary to undertake responsible research.
- Training researchers in to the process of government approval for biotechnology research, products or processes and the scientific data and other requirements for the approval. This helps in preparing the appropriate proposal at appropriate time and obtaining relevant government approval for methodical study.
- Examine the emerging social and economic issues arising from the use of new biotechnologies from a legal and ethical perspective and share current trends and essential elements of ethics, legal issues, and regulations.
- To provide a forum for multidisciplinary dialogue and reflection between lawyers, ethicists, bio scientists, clinicians, policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Explore related areas such as law and genetics, research on human tissues and stem cells, biosecurity, bio- banks and gene patents.
- Act as a forum for exchange of ideas between bio scientists, lawyers, bioethicists, policy makers, the biotech industry and other stakeholders.
Outcome of the Program
- A unique distinguishing asset when applying for jobs in the different areas of life science, such as medicine, nursing and allied health care professions as well as in education and law.
- Excellent preparation for any profession that requires graduates with high levels of human understanding, critical skills and knowledge of current affairs.
- Provide an overview of the important ethical, legal, and regulatory issues that are critical to the biotechnology industry.
- Share current trends and essential elements of ethics, legal issues, and regulations in a way that allows for an appreciation of how each influences the others.
- Examine core ethical values that guide the practice of science in the biotechnology industry.
- Provide an overview of legal issues, such as protecting inventions and intellectual property and licensing, and the range of regulatory oversight mechanisms with which the biotech industry must comply.
- Review the implications of strategic ethical, legal, and regulatory choices that add value to the biotechnology firm, customers, and society.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in any discipline from any recognized University.
- Rs.15,000 for the entire programme
- Rs.10,000 for GNLU Alumni
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the programme through this link.
31st December 2020
For more details, click here: Admission: PG Diploma in Biotechnology, Law and Policy by Gujarat National Law University
Join 70,000 law students. Receive only the posts you want.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.