About Lawctopus Law School
With over 2000 students, including law students, academicians, industry professionals, lawyers, CAs, and business professionals, Lawctopus Law School has fast established itself as the place to be for online legal education in India.
For our various courses and webinar workshops, we have partnered with top law firms like Surana and Surana, Sujata Choudhari IP Attorneys, industry bodies like the Delhi Management Association (DMA), and PACT.
Course on Patent – Law and Practice
With the rapidly developing technology, and the increasing number of patents granted every year, protection and enforcement of patents and rights of patent holders is of utmost importance. The legal community a big role in safeguarding these rights of patent holders.
Keeping this in mind, this course has been designed to help the learners, especially lawyers and law students wishing to build their careers in Patents Law.
This course will also benefit professionals who wish to get acquainted with the law or refresh their knowledge on the subject.
Contents of the Course
- An orientation session which explains how to make full use of the course
- Rigorously researched reading resources
- Recorded video lectures covering the length and breadth of copyright law
- A discussion forum to resolve all your doubts
- Assignments (both objective and essay-type)
- Whatsapp and email groups for constant communication
- 3-4, 90-minute long live sessions which build upon the course material
The Lawctopus Law School team is known for excellence in delivery and we keep our students informed via regular emails, Whatsapp groups, and even phone calls (if you are lagging behind the assignments!) and you can be assured of excellent delivery of a quality course.
Structure of the Course
Module 1 – Patents – Understanding Patents, International & Indian Patent Regime
- Important terms frequently used under the Patent Law Regime
- Meaning, scope, and important features of Indian Patent Law
- Comparative differences between Patents and Trademark, Copyright, and Design
- The legislative history of Patent Law in India
- Salient features of the existing patent regime in India
- Comparative analysis of Patent Law regimes of the US, EU, and China with that of the Indian Patent Law regime.
- Tests of patentability, namely, Novelty, Inventive Step, and Industrial Application
- Landmark cases on the Patentability of an invention
Module 2 – Patents – Subject Matter Eligibility
- Subject matters which can be protected under the Indian Patent Law Act
Module 3 – Patents – Procedure for obtaining, Revocation and Opposition
- End to end procedure of obtaining a patent, starting with the drafting of various sections of the patent application to the grant of patent
- Patent opposition and revocation
- Pre and post-grant opposition
- Grounds for opposition
- How a patent is revoked?
Module 4 – Patents – Rights and Maintenance, Protection and Enforcement: Infringement and other remedies
- Infringement of Patents
- Remedies under the Indian Patent Law, 1970 available to the patent holder
- Types of infringement
- How to determine if there has been an infringement or not?
Module 5 – Patents – Assignment, Licensing, and Working
- Assignment of a patent by the patent holder,
- Working of patents i.e. to what extent the patented invention has been worked
- Compulsory licensing
Mr. Aditya Kedari
Education: B.E in Computer Engineering (2007), LLB (Gold Medalist) and LLM from New Law College, Pune, NET Qualified (2015), currently pursuing PhD from Symbiosis.
Work experience: Ex-Assistant Professor in New Law College, Pune, Symbiosis Law School, Pune, currently at DES Shri. Navalmal Firodia Law College, Pune.
Mr. Hemant Thadani
Education: B.SC LLB from GNLU (2011), LLM from WIPO-QUT (Queensland University of Technology) in IP Law.
Work experience: Head (IP practice), Crawford Bayley & Co., Mumbai; ex-Managing Associate (IP Litigation) at Krishna and Saurashtri, Mumbai; Visiting Faculty NMIMS Institute of Intellectual Property Studies.
Prof. Amit Jyoti Sandhu Gomber
Education: B.A. LLB (Gold Medalist) from Panjab University in 2012; LLM in IP Law (2013) from George Washington University Law School.
Work experience: Assistant Professor at JGLS, Sonipat and an Assistant Director with the Centre of IP and Technology Laws.
Mr. Devanshu Khanna (Lead Researcher)
Education: B. Tech (2012) from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University; LLB from Faculty of Law, Delhi University in 2015.
Work experience: Senior Associate at Singh & Singh Law Firm LLP and is also a registered Patent Agent.
Ms. Priggya Arora
Education: B.Tech from GBPUAT, Pantnagar and LL.B. (Hons) in IPR from IIT Kharagpur Law School.
Work experience: Ex-Senior Associate, IIPRD Consulting; Ex-Senior Associate, Khuran and Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys; Founder and Owner, PA Legal, Delhi.
Who is this course for?
- Law students interested in IP laws and especially patent laws
- Professors in colleges associated with the patent/IP clle
- Business Heads and Scientists interested to gain knowledge and practical know-how of Patent law
- Practising lawyers looking to start or get into the practice of Patent Law
- Legal academicians who want to gain a practical understanding of the Patent Law
Details for our Patent – Law and Practice Course
Duration: 4 weeks [December 1-30]
Course fee: Rs. 4900 [inclusive of GST]
Mode of learning
- Completely online and self-paced
- Recorded video lectures
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- An online forum for the resolution of doubts
- 3-4 live sessions with Lawctopus’ team and subject experts
- Assignment with feedback
- Get a certificate issued by Lawctopus on successful completion of the course
- Recorded lecture on CV making
- Recorded lecture on making it as a legal freelancer
- Recorded sessions on IPR as a career
- Preferable internship positions for best-performing students with Lawctopus’ partner organizations
- Ad-hoc paid assignments
- Publication opportunities for best-performing students
- Alumni support (we continue informing you about free and paid webinars, internship and job opportunities, and more!)
If you have any questions, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org