The drafting and filing of patent applications is done by patent agents. A patent application is a techno-legal document that intends to protect an invention and requires you to be well-versed both the with technology and the law.
Now, how do you become a patent agent? Clearing the Patent Agent Exam qualifies you as a patent agent in India.
With the rapidly developing technology, and the increasing number of patents granted every year, protection and enforcement of patents and rights of patent holders is of utmost importance.
Because of this, there has been a demand for Patent Agents for filing the Patent Applications.
The Patent Agent Exam is conducted by the India Patent Office. Professionals from science and technology background take this exam to qualify as Patent Agents.
The patent agent exam requires serious, long-term preparation. One must know about the exam, the law of patents, and the patent drafting aspects. Our course on preparing for the patent agent examination teaches you all of this in detail.
Through this course conducted by Lawctopus Law School and NoticeBard, you will learn all that is there to clear the Patent Agent Examination: the pattern and analysis of the exam, the fundamentals of the India Patent Law, and drafting of a patent application.
And we have, of course, incorporated practice papers and mock tests, which help you prepare for the examination in an exact manner. In past, we have conducted 2 workshops on the Patent Agent Examination, which have been loved by our participants.
This is how the Patent Agent Exam Course is structured:
Module 1: Understanding the Patent Agent Exam in Complete Detail: Recorded lecture
LIVE SESSION 1 [60-MINUTES LONG]: ORIENTATION + DOUBT-RESOLUTION
- Understand the exact nature and structure of the Patent Agent Exam.
- And know in detail about the pattern, the type of questions asked, and understand how to best secure a good performance in each section.
Module 2 – Indian Patent Act; Understanding Patentability
- Patentability requirements and will discuss the concepts of Novelty, Inventive Step and Industrial Application.
- Section 3 and 4 under which we learn about what are not inventions under the Patent Act, 1970.
Module 3 – Types of patent applications
- Types of patent applications and how they are filed.
- Provisional and Complete Specifications (Ordinary Indian Patent Applications)
- Contents of Provisional/Complete Specification
- Requirements of Complete Specification
- International Application
- Convention Application
- Division Application
- Patent of Addition
Module 4 – Understanding Inventorship
- Determination of inventorship
- First to file (FTF)
- First to invent (FTI)
- Joint inventorship
- Inventorship under the Indian Patent Act
- True and first inventor
- True and first inventor’s assignee
- The legal representative of deceased true and first inventor or his/her assignee
- Mention of inventor as such in a patent
- Substitution of applicants
This is a detailed course which will teach you everything about the patents law to clear the Patent Agent in the first attempt.
Module 5 – Filing of Patent Applications
- Jurisdiction of patent office: Where to file?
- Documents required for filing a patent application in India: What all to file?
- Benefits to startups and MSMEs under the Act
- Priority date of an application: When to file?
- Post-dating of the applications
- Filing of an application in a foreign country without first filing in India
Module 6 – Publication and examination of applications
- Publication of patent application
- Effects of publication of the application
- Examination of applications
- Who can file a request for examination?
- And when can it be filed?
- Why is it important to be file an application?
- How can an application be filed?
- What all is examined?
- And types of examination
- Express request for examination
- Expedited examination
- Normal request for examination
- Safeguards against prior disclosure of an invention
- Power of Controller in case of anticipation (Section 18)
- Amendment of patent application
LIVE SESSION 2 [90-MINUTES LONG]: MODULES 1-6
Module 7 – Drafting of Patent Application:
LIVE SESSIONS 3 AND 4 ON DRAFTING FROM A PATENT AGENT EXAM POINT OF VIEW
Understand the all-important skill of:
- Drafting a title, abstract, claims, and summary
- Drafting a complete specification
Our course covers the all-important patent drafting aspect in detail. We not only have recorded lectures for the same, but also live lectures for doubt-resolution.
Module 8 – Opposition proceedings under the Indian Patent Act
- Pre-grant opposition of a patent
- Who can file a pre-grant opposition?
- When can it be filed?
- What are the grounds for filing pre-grant opposition?
- And what is the procedure for filing a pre-grant opposition?
- Post-grant opposition
- Who can file a post-grant opposition?
- When can it be filed?
- What are the grounds for post-grant opposition?
- What is the procedure for filing post-grant opposition?
- Section 26: In case it is proved by the opponent that the invention was wrongfully claimed
Module 9 – Patent Rights & Maintenance of patents
- Exceptions to the rights of the patentee
- Rights of co-owners
- Term of patent
- Maintenance of patents
- Register of patents
- Application to IPAB for rectification of register
- Assignment or transfer of patent rights
- Surrender of patents
Module 10 – Revocation of a patent
- Revocation of a patent by IPAB or High Court (Section 64)
- By the Controller on the direction of the Central Government (Section 65)
- By the Central Government (Section 66)
- And revocation of a patent by the Controller (Section 85)
Module 11 – Appeal procedure
- Constitution of the Appellate Board
- What matters can be appealed in IPAB?
- Appeal Procedure
Module 12 – Compulsory Licensing
- Working of a patent
- What is compulsory licensing
- And when can it be granted?
- Who can apply for a compulsory license?
- How can a person interested apply for a compulsory license?
- What are the grounds?
- Special provisions for Compulsory Licensing
- Procedure of grant of compulsory license
- Certain powers of the Controller for the grant of compulsory license
- Termination of a compulsory license
- Important judgements pertaining to compulsory licensing
Each aspect of the Patents Act and related Rules are covered thoroughly and in a simple manner.
Module 13 – Infringement of patents
- Jurisdiction of courts
- Proceedings in an infringement suit
- Determination of infringement
- Burden of Proof
- Groundless threats of infringement
- Declaration of non-infringement
- Defences in the suit for infringement
- Relief available in cases of infringement
Module 14 – Prohibitions and Penalties under the Indian Patent Act
- Secrecy directions of the government
- Acquisition of inventions by the Government
- Unlawful conditions that cannot be imposed by the patentee (Section 140)
- Offences and penalties under the Patent Act (Section 118-124)
Module 15 – Powers of Controller and duties of a Patent Agent
- Powers of the Controller under various provisions as given in the Patent Act, 1970.
- Duties of a patent agent
- And disqualification for registration as a patent agent
LIVE SESSION 5 [90-MINUTE]: MODULES 8-15
Module 16 – Previous Years’ Papers, 2 Mock Tests
LIVE SESSION 6 [90-MINUTE]: MOCK TESTS FOR PATENT AGENT EXAM + CLOSING SESSION
- Go through past year papers and our analysis of the same
- And solve 2 Mock Tests and have a Patent Agent help you with doubts and resolutions
Analysis of mock tests and practice through the mock tests gives you the right practice to successfully clear this exam.
Module 17 – Interview Preparation Live Class and Mock
- Available for the course learners who reach the interview stage
- 1-2 mock interviews of approx 30 minutes each (conducted by Patent Agents) will be arranged
Faculty of Lawctopus Law School’s and NoticeBard’s Patent Agent Exam Course:
Our faculty consists largely of quality experts, who have been there and done that. All our course developers are graduates of the prestigious IIT Kharagpur Law School which has renowned training around IPR and patent laws.
Patent Agents who have actually cleared the exams and have got patents for their clients have developed the study material and will teach in the live classes.
Ms. Nandini Comar (Lead Researcher and Faculty)
Nandini is a 2014 graduate of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi and holds a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Biotechnology.
She has also completed her LLB from IIT Kharagpur in 2018.
She is a Patent Agent, has worked with leading corporate houses like KPMG and is currently working a Senior Associate with Gartner.
Ms. Prachi Sharma (Faculty)
Prachi is a 2014 graduate of Jaypee University of Engineering and Technology and holds a Bachelor of Technology degree in Electronics and Telecommunications.
She has also completed her LLM from IIT Kharagpur in the year 2017. She is a Patent Agent and currently works as an Associate with Saikrishna and Associates.
Priggya Arora (Modules’ Review and Consultant)
Priggya completed her B.Tech in Electrical Engineering for GB Pant University in 2012 and then LLB from IIT Kharagpur in 2017.
She has worked at IIPRD Consulting for 3.5 years and then at Khurana and Khurana for 3.5 years.
She now runs her own law firm, PA Legal.
Details for our Patent Agent Exam Course:
Who is this Course for?
- Any individual who holds a degree in Science (All Subjects), Technology, Engineering, or Pharmacy.
- Those who have done B.Sc and B. Tech LLB can be eligible.
Duration: 2 months + 2 months [2 months is the course duration, while 2 months extra access is given for further revision and review]
Course Fee: Rs. 10,000 + 18% GST = INR 11800
The Patent Agent Exam course fee includes:
- Comprehensive reading material
- Recorded video lectures
- Resolution of doubts on the discussion forum. Questions are answered within 1-3 days
- 6 live lectures of 1.5 hours each [Recordings can be accessed by those who miss the live lecture]
- 2 live lectures specifically on drafting
- Admission to a Whatsapp group for communication purposes
- Access to past year papers and 2 mock tests
Mode of learning:
The course is completely online and self-paced. It contains:
- Recorded video lectures by recently qualified patent agents
- Text-based modules and reading resources prepared keeping the patent agent examination in mind
- Doubt-resolution via the discussion forum. All questions are answered within 1-3 days
- 2 full-length mock tests developed in accordance with the recent pattern of the exam
- 6 live sessions with subject experts. (The schedule for live lectures is announced before-hand. Live lectures are also recorded for reference of those who are unable to attend it live).
- Special live lectures for the patent drafting component
Patent Agent Exam Pattern:
- Paper-I (100 marks) – Multiple Choice Questions (2 hours)
- Paper-II (100 marks) – Subjective Questions (3 hours)
- Viva- (50 marks)
The candidates will have to score 50% individually in Paper I and Paper II and 60% in aggregate to clear the Exam.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.