About the organisation
The University of Calcutta is a collegiate public state university located in Kolkata, West Bengal, India established on 24 January 1857. It was the first institution in Asia to be established as a multidisciplinary and secular Western-style university.
The Journal and Seminar Committee of the Department of Law, University of Calcutta is a departmental student-run committee with the mandate and objective to supervise and oversee the Departmental Law Journal and Blog; and regulate the conduct of academic events relating to Seminars, workshops, lectures etc.
About the Panel Discussion Seminar
The Journal and Seminar Committee of the Department of Law, University of Calcutta is organising “A Dialogue on Advocacy in the Higher Judiciary and its Contribution to Evolving Jurisprudence”, a Panel Discussion Seminar in the Seminar Hall of the Department at 51/1, Hazra Road, Kolkata-700019.
Name of the Panel Discussion Seminar: “A Dialogue on Advocacy in the Higher Judiciary and its Contribution to Evolving Jurisprudence”
Date: 3rd August 2018
All students currently enrolled in LLB courses under any Bar-Council recognised institution.
The motion of the Seminar
In a constitutional republic, whereby an independent judiciary is constitutionally vested with the discretion of judicial review; every decision of the Court plays a profoundly significant role in affecting the ordinary lives of its citizens.
The Seminar intends to address the contribution of advocacy, as an integral component of the legal profession, in establishing case laws, settling precedence and empowering the Supreme Court and 25 High Courts of India to qualitatively exercise their writ jurisdictions under Articles 32 and 226 of the Constitution, respectively.
Themes of the Seminar
- Importance of Oral and Written Arguments in Judicial Decision-Making
- Advocacy and the Preservation of Civil Liberties
- Advocacy and the Evolution of Comparative Common Law Jurisprudence
- Advocacy and Precedent in the Administration of Justice
Sub-Themes of the Seminar
- Construction of Legal Arguments
- Professional Ethics and Social Obligations of Legal Practitioners
- Advocacy and Public Interest Litigation
- Trial Advocacy in the Chartered High Courts
- Scope and Importance of Writ Jurisdiction of Supreme Court and High Courts under Articles 32 and 226 of the Constitution
- Location: Seminar Hall of the Department of Law, University of Calcutta at 51/1, Hazra Road, Kolkata-700019
All registrations shall be free of cost.
OWING TO SPATIAL LIMITATIONS, THE DESIGNATED ALLOTMENT OF SEATS IS 30, ALL BEING SUBJECT TO DISPENSATION ON A FIRST-COME-FIRST-SERVE BASIS ONLY.
To register, click here.
The last date of registration is the 29th of July, 2019.
Any and all queries shall either be directed to the Committee’s Official Email Handle at culawjsc[at[gmail.com or any of its Executive Members specified hereunder:
Atreya Chakraborty: atreya326[at]gmail.com
Samriddha Sen: samriddho66[at]gmail.com
The seminar reading material is here.
The seminar briefing is here.
The seminar timeline is here.
The seminar notice is here.
The poster is here.