The Ministry of External Affairs is inviting applications for its paid internship opportunity for Term 1 (January-June). Apply by March 30th.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of External Affairs of India, a.k.a the Foreign Ministry, is the government agency responsible for the conduct of foreign relations of India. The Ministry comes under the Government of India and is responsible for India’s representation in the United Nations.
About the Opportunity
A comprehensive review of the Ministry’s internship policy published in August 2016 has been undertaken with an aim to bring in more focus on MEA; provide more value to the interns; ensure better gender inclusivity and increase diversity in terms of qualifications and domicile amongst the cohort of interns engaged by the Ministry.
This internship will provide an introduction to the process of formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India.
Internships at MEA headquarters shall be open to
- Indian citizens with
- A minimum educational qualification of a graduate degree from a recognized university and
- Maximum age of 25 years as of 31 December of the year of internship.
Obligations of the intern
- The internship program provides an introduction to the process of formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India.
- Interns will be assigned specific topics of work by the concerned Head of Division (HOD) and may be required to conduct research, write reports, analyze evolving developments or carry out any other task entrusted to them by the HOD.
- At the end of the internship, each intern shall submit a detailed report on the work carried out and, if required, make a presentation on it. The outcome of the study during the internship will remain as intellectual property of the Ministry of External Affairs and interns shall not use it without prior approval of the Ministry.
- The intern shall maintain full confidentiality and secrecy of any information relating to the Ministry of External Affairs.
Intake and duration
- Every year, internships will be offered in two terms of six months each viz. January – June, and July – December.
- A maximum of thirty interns will be engaged by the Ministry during each term. Each intern will be engaged for a maximum period of three months.
- The selection process will be fully online at www.internship.mea.gov.in with applications, scrutiny, selection, allocation of Division, notification, extension, and certification to be managed on a dedicated internship portal of the Ministry.
- Each candidate needs to register on the internship portal and obtain access credentials to participate in the process.
- The selection process will consist of two stages viz. Preliminary Screening and Personal Interview.
- The process will follow a ‘quota cum weightage’ system whereby applicants belonging to 14 States and 4 Union Territories will be considered in each term as per the table given in the official notification.
- In each term, there may be 2 interns from each of the 14 States and 2 interns from the 4 Union Territories put together, with 30% – 50% being filled by women candidates.
- Weightage will be based on academic performance assessed by the percentage of marks obtained in +2 and graduation exams.
- Candidates should apply online. State-wise merit lists will be prepared – separately for male and female candidates – by elimination based on academic performance in +2 and graduation exams.
- Priority will be given to applicants from TADP districts (Transformation of Aspirational Districts Program).
- The total number of candidates called for interview will be three times the interns to be engaged in each term.
- Candidates selected in the merit lists will be called for a personal interview to be conducted by videoconferencing.
- A maximum of 30 candidates will be selected from the interview process and offered internships.
- If any selected candidates opt-out, the next candidates on the merit list will be offered the opportunity.
Perks and Remuneration
- An honorarium of INR 10,000 per month will be paid to each intern to defray basic costs.
- Cost of one-time to and fro air travel subject to a ceiling of the prevailing economy class airfare between the State capital and Delhi, from the domicile State, or from the college/university of the selected candidates will be provided.
- The interns would be responsible for their board and lodging in Delhi during the period of their internship.
- Call for applications for 2021 Term I: 10 March 2021
- Deadline for receiving applications: 30 March 2021
- Announcement of shortlisted candidates and calls for interview: 02 April 2021
- Interviews (Over virtual mode): 5 April 2021– 9 April 2021
- Announcement of selected candidates: 13 April 2021
- Allocation of Divisions: 16 April 2021
- Start of internships 2021 Term I: 30 April 2021
e-Mail : internship[at]mea.gov.in
Address: Ministry of External Affairs, South Block New Delhi-110011
Click here for the official notification.
More Internships and Small Projects that you might be interested in
- Summer Internship at DGFT [Directorate General of Foreign Trade; June-July], Delhi: Apply by Apr 30
- Competition Commission of India [CCI] Online Internship [May 2021]: Apply by April 1
- Internship Opportunity at Invest India [Government of India]: Apply Now!
- Summer Internship Opportunity with Law Commission of India: Apply by Apr 1
Disclaimer: Internship experiences are opinions shared by individual law students and tend to be personal and subjective in nature. The internship experiences shared on Lawctopus are NOT Lawctopus' official views on the internship.