About UN Volunteering
United Nations (UN) Online Volunteers will support the OHCHR Regional Office for Southern Africa in fulfilling its mission:
- To work for the protection of all human rights for all people.
- To help empower people to realize their rights.
- To assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
About the Task
The volunteer’s tasks would include the following:
- Support trainings, consultations and other activities on country human rights issues.
- Conduct research, analysis, data collection and prepare analytical briefs and updates.
- Support engagement with human rights mechanisms by States, civil society organizations and national human rights institutions.
- Support technical assistance to States, civil society and national human rights institutions on implementation of human rights recommendations.
- Support engagement with UN country teams in the sub-region.
- Support human rights early warning in the sub-region.
- Support awareness raising about human rights and the work of the UN.
- Drafting reports, communications, note-taking.
- Perform other duties requested by supervisor, as appropriate.
The candidate must:
- Be enrolled or have graduated with a Masters or equivalent degree OR
- Have graduated from a first-level university degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in a field relevant to human rights (law, political science, social sciences, international relations, etc).
- Work Experience relevant to human rights and in Southern Africa is desirable.
- Language: Excellent written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of French, Portuguese or other languages from Southern Africa is an asset.
Number of Volunteers Needed
26 Weeks/ 20+ Hrs. Per Week
How to Apply
More posts that you might be interested in
- 8-Week Long Online Gathering by Empathy Connects’ O Ri Duniya 4.0 on Society and Environment [Oct 17-Dec 5]
- Online Internship Opportunity at Ikigai Law: Applications Open!
- Internship Opportunity at Ministry of External Affairs [MEA], New Delhi: Apply Now
- Internship Opportunity at K&T Law Offices, Delhi: Applications Open
- Internship Opportunity for Contract Management at Sirion Labs, Gurgaon: Apply Now!
- Internship Opportunity 2021 at Morgan Stanley, Mumbai [12 Weeks, Stipend Available]: Apply by Nov 27
Disclaimer: Internship experiences are opinions shared by individual law students and tend to be personal and subjective in nature. The internship experiences shared on Lawctopus are NOT Lawctopus' official views on the internship.