The NUJS Sports Committee and Constitutional Law Society in association with GLaws.in is pleased to present an interactive discussion on the Gaming and Betting industry in India on Thursday 12th September 2013 from 5.15 pm onwards at the National University of Juridical Sciences Kolkata.
2. Mr. Prabhat Kiran Mukherjea, Alumni of National Law School Bangalore, keen poker enthusiast having practical experience in the gaming industry and one of the top debaters in India.
3. Dr. Lovely Dasgupta, Assistant Professor at NUJS and Sports Law expert.
4. Mr. Bharat Agarwalla, Poker Enthusiast and Founder CEO of the popular poker tournament, India Poker Series (IPS).
The session shall be moderated by Jay Sayta, student of NUJS who runs GLaws.in and has experience in the gaming industry.
Each panelist will be given 7-10 minutes to make their presentation encompassing one or more of the following themes relevant to the gaming and betting industry:
- Constitutional position on gambling and betting laws including Art. 19(1)(g) rights, constitutional protection to games of skill, Constitutional validity of State Gambling Acts, Constituent Assembly debates on Gambling/ Betting
- Legal position on poker, sports betting and other games of skill
- Economic implications of unregulated gambling and betting- study of the legal and underground gaming industry in India
- Gambling, betting an inevitable vice: Social problems like addiction associated with gambling and legal measures to tackle the problems in a regulated market: Lessons from UK and other jurisdictions
- Game theory, psychology and other skills involved in poker
The presentations will be followed by an open interactive session with the students and other members of the general public present.