The Nature Committee, NUJS (NATCOM) in collaboration with Enviro-Legal Defence Firm (ELDF) and the Asian Law Students Association (ALSA) is organizing the 2nd Annual NUJS Environmental Law Workshop at the National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata on 23rd and 24th February, 2013.
The themes for this year’s workshop are Nuclear Safety and Liability and Biodiversity Conservation.
The workshop will be conducted over two days, the 23rd and 24th February 2013 and will be divided into four sessions, two each on each of the themes of the workshop.
Each of the sessions will comprise of talks by experts and a student activity to develop a deeper understanding of the issues covered.
There will be also a special talk on “Environmental Law as a Career Option” by Advocate Sanjay Upadhyay, renowned environmental lawyer and managing-director of ELDF, India’s first environmental law firm.
Theme 1: Nuclear Safety and Liability
1. India’s civil liability regime for nuclear damage, with special emphasis on Operators’ and Suppliers’ Liability
2. Socio-economic issues involved in the development of nuclear power in India
3. Regulatory and licensing requirements for a safe and sustainable development of nuclear power
Theme 2: Biodiversity Conservation
1. International and National Framework for Biodiversity Conservation
2. International and National Framework for “access and benefit sharing‟ with special focus on bio-cultural community protocols and indigenous people’s rights over natural resources.
3. Conservation of biodiversity and its relation to the laws on climate change
Mock Green Tribunal – Participants will be divided into teams to work as the petitioners, defendants, and judges of the tribunal on a hypothetical dispute based on environmental regulation relating to nuclear safety and liability.
Participants will get 20 minutes preparation time before they are asked to present arguments.
Mock Conference of Parties of Convention on Biodiversity– Participants will represent different countries and other interest groups in the setting of the Conference, based on allocation done prior to the workshop.
Participants will be required to submit position papers based on the agenda circulated by the organizers. Based on the demands raised during the session, participants will also be asked to work on a draft report to finalize the outcome of the Conference.
Based on their performance, one of the participants of the workshop shall be adjudged “The Best Delegate”.
Paper presentations – Kindly refer to the section on “Call for Papers” for details. Please note that paper presentations are only a part of the workshop and it is not mandatory that everyone has to participate in the paper presentation session.
Only six papers will be selected for paper presentation.
All students who want to participate in the workshop are instructed to fill the attached application form and send a write-up on either of the themes of the workshop as given in the application form on or before 21st January, 2013.
The application form is here.
Those who want to participate in the paper presentation session alone need not send the write-up. However, they have to send their full–length paper along with the filled application form on or before 4th February, 2013.
Those who want to participate in the workshop as well as in the paper presentation session have to submit the write-ups on 21st January, 2013, as well as submit their full length papers on 4th February, 2013.
A registration fee of Rs. 500 (for non-NUJS students) and Rs.250 (for NUJS students) has to be paid by the selected participants (details of registration will be intimated after the completion of selection process).
Accommodation and food for the duration of the workshop will be covered by the organizers.
Call for Papers
The Annual NUJS Environmental Law Workshop was envisaged to encourage environmental scholarship among law students and generate interest and involvement in emerging issues in environmental law. In order to achieve this objective, the workshop shall provide a platform for interested students to present papers on either of the following themes–
1. Nuclear Liability and Safety
2. Legal Framework for Biodiversity Conservation and Access and Benefit Sharing
- Participants are free to delineate the scope of their paper, but shall be expected to remain within the abovementioned themes
- Papers are expected to be 5000-6000 words
- All submissions shall be in MS Word format typed in Times New Roman in 12 font size with line spacing of 1.5.
- Joint authorship up to a maximum of two is allowed
- All submissions along with the filled application form for participation in the workshop should be sent to email@example.com
All submissions shall contain a covering letter including names, contact number, email id and designation of the author(s).
The last date for the submission of papers is 4th February, 2013. The authors of the selected papers will be intimated on 11th February, 2013.
For participating in the workshop
Last date for submission of write-up : 21st January, 2013
Intimation of selection in the workshop : 31th January, 2013
For participating in the paper presentation session
Last date for submission of full-length papers : 4th February, 2013
Intimation of selection of the paper : 11th February, 2013
For any enquiries or clarifications, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.