Patent specifications — the documents which encompass the patent right in a technological invention — are techno-legal documents created at the interface of science and law. Unlike technical writing, patent law requires drafting patent specifications to satisfy certain requirements.
This course is designed to enable beginners without any prior knowledge on patent drafting to draft patent specifications on their own. The course will cover the fundamental principles of patent drafting and discuss in detail the concepts in patent law in the context of patent drafting.
Anyone interested in patent drafting
Law Firms, LPOs, knowledge-based industries etc.
Week 1: Invention as a solution to an unsolved Problem
Week 2: Drafting a Claim
Week 3: Types and Arrangement of Claims
Week 4: Structure of the Patent Specification
To register for this course, click here.
- The exam is optional for a fee.
- Date and Time of Exams: April 28 (Saturday) and April 29 (Sunday) : Afternoon session: 2pm to 5pm.
- Exam for this course will be available in one session on both 28 and 29 April.
- Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
- The online registration form has to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will be made available when the exam registration form is published.
- Final score will be calculated as : 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score
- 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of 8 weeks course: Best 3 out of 4 assignments
- E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. Certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup. It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT Madras. It will be e-verifiable at this link.