About the Organizers
National Law University Odisha is an autonomous law university in India located at Cuttack, Odisha. It was established in 2008 under the National Law University Odisha Act, commencing its first batch from July 2009. The Institute offers undergraduate
Friends Beyond Species: Society for the Advancement of Animal and Environmental Welfare was established under the aegis of National Law University Odisha, Cuttack. The society promotes the legal and social discourse on Animal welfare & Environmental law and policy.
About the Competition
SAAEW is organizing the 1st NLUO National Essay Writing Competition on Animal and Environmental Law and Policy, 2019.
This essay competition aims to act as an opportunity for students, academicians and professionals to nurture their research and writing skills in the field of Animal and Environmental Law and Policy.
Animal and Environmental Law is a nuanced branch of law that governs the rights of all sentient non-human persons. It regulates a broad ambit of claims related to the rights and welfare of the environment and animals. Awareness of such an important field is very much required amongst law students and the legal fraternity.
Through this essay competition, the Society seeks to encourage scholarly discussion on the current trends and issues amongst the students, academicians and professionals from the field of law.
Authors must be pursuing their LLB (Hons.)/LLB/LLM from any recognized University to be eligible to participate in the competition. Academicians and professionals are also invited to send in their contributions to the competition.
- Role of Law and Policy in Co-existence of the Human and Non-Human Animals in the Complex Urban Ecosystem
- The Impact of Climate Change vis-a-vis Wildfires on Animals and Environment: Sustainable Solutions through Effective Laws and Policies
Note: The participants are advised to restrict their essays to the above-given themes only.
- There is no registration fee for this competition.
- The participants are required to mandatorily register themselves by duly filling out the registration forms (the links for the forms are provided below) and should mail those forms to caew[at]nluo.ac.inon or before 20th October 2019 (11:59 pm).
- For detailed registration procedure refer to the brochure.
The registration form for students is here.
The registration form for professors/academicians is here.
- Co-authorship to a maximum of two is permitted.
- The essay should be of approximately 3000 words, excluding abstract and footnotes. Authors are advised to strictly adhere to the word limit prescribed.
- The essay must contain an abstract of not more than 200 words including keywords.
- The write-ups shall have no plagiarism and should be the original work of the participants.
- The participants shall follow the Harvard Bluebook 20th Edition as the mode of Citation.
- For detailed essay guidelines and formatting criteria please refer to the brochure.
- The submission shall be in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx format).
- Essays must be sent by email at caew[at]nluo.ac.in with the Subject “Submission for 1st NLUO National Essay Competition”.
- The deadline for submission is 15th November 2019 (11:59 pm). Any submission received beyond the deadline will be rejected.
Prizes and Affirmative Benefit
- First Prize: Cash reward of 20,000 INR and publication on our official blog.
- Second Prize: Cash reward 15,000 INR and publication on our official blog.
- Third Prize: Cash reward 10,000 INR and publication on our official blog.
- In addition to the top three winners, 12 selected essays shall be published on the official blog and the authors will be awarded a publication certificate.
- All the participants who clear the first stage review will be awarded a certificate of participation.
- Last Date of Registration: 20th October 2019 (11:59 PM).
- Last date of Submission: 15th November 2019 (11:59 PM).
- Date of Declaration of Results: 20th January 2020.
Note: Both the registration date and the date of submissions are different.
Ayushi Hatwal (Convenor): +91 8763276308
Moulika Diwakar (Co-Convenor): +91 9990675111
Yashvardhan Singh (Secretary):+91 7905007036