NLUD Environmental Law Essay Competition, 2012
The NLUD Environment Law Society (“NELS”) is organising the 1st edition of the NLUD Environmental Law Essay Competition, 2012, dedicated to Dr. Salim Ali, renowned ornithologist and environmentalist.
Popularly known as the Birdman of India, Dr. Ali was instrumental in the conservation of the Silent Valley National Park and also played a key role in the development of the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary.
His writings helped inspire not only professional but also amateur ornithologists in India. The essay competition aims at furthering his vision by provoking thoughts on contemporary environmental issues and inviting students’ individual opinion on the same.
1. Participation is open to all students pursuing LL.B or LL.M in any University in India.
2. Co-authorship is not allowed.
3. The essay should not be published/ submitted elsewhere.
Authors may select one of the following themes:
1. Energy and Climate Change
2. Wildlife Protection
3. Groundwater Conservation
4. Indigenous Rights and Forest Conservation
1. The maximum length of the essay is 3,500 words, inclusive of footnotes.
2. References must be cited by means of footnotes.
3. Uniform style of citation should be followed (preferably in OSCOLA, available here.
4. The font type of the essay should be Times New Roman, size 12, with 1.5 line spacing.
1. The essay must have a cover page containing the title of the essay, name of the author, their year and institution of study and contact details (email address and telephone number).
2. Submissions must be mailed to [email protected].
3. The last date of submission will be 11:59 pm on 24 October, 2012
4. Essays found plagiarised will not be considered for evaluation.
1. First Prize: A cash prize of INR 15,000
2. Second Prize: A cash prize of INR 10,000
3. Third Prize: A cash prize of INR 5,000
4. The winners will be invited for the Award Ceremony and Green Lecture at National Law University, Delhi (on 16 November, 2012)