Nazdeek is seeking a Program Officer (Consultant) to join their team.
Nazdeek is a legal capacity-building organization committed to bringing access to justice closer to marginalized communities in India. Nazdeek works to advance social and economic rights through civic training, community mobilization, and access to judicial and non-judicial remedies with a core focus on women, Dalits, and Adivasi communities. We believe that the law can be an effective tool in overcoming poverty and marginalization.
Two of our main projects are: 1. Improving access to labour and health rights of tea plantation workers in Assam; 2. Strengthening housing and health rights of slum dwellers in Delhi. We are now bringing our advocacy model to work in the Textile and Garment (T&G) industry in the state of Tamil Nadu.
This program officer consultancy is based in New Delhi (40 %) and Tamil Nadu (60 %) for our rights-based legal and organizing work in the T&G Industry. The position offers an opportunity to engage in participatory rights-based work and human rights research, while gaining human rights advocacy experience in the growing field of legal empowerment.
Our ideal applicant be willing to travel, have strong writing and communications skills, have a working knowledge of social security law, and be experienced with conducting field work, taking interviews, and mobilizing communities.
Responsibilities of the consultant include:
- Undertaking legal and policy research about Tamil Nadu’s T&G industry
- Conducting extensive field research in Tamil Nadu’s T&G industry; interacting with a variety of high-level stakeholders, community leaders, workers, and activist groups; and collecting data through quantitative and qualitative methods
- Developing innovative participatory tools and methodologies for data collection and reporting
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and writing up the findings
- Engaging and coordinating with diverse stakeholders in the T&G industry to create partnerships fundamental to community mobilization work
- Participating in strategic program management by identifying potential areas for Nazdeek’s ongoing human rights interventions, including legal capacity-building, data collection, development of grievance redressal mechanisms, etc.
- Managing site visit logistics, creating and tracking budgets for events and meetings, writing summaries and reports of our data collection and research, and maintaining detailed records
- Ensuring project deliverables are completed according to the project timeline
Required qualifications and skills:
Applicants must either possess an LLM (preferred) or LLB with experience in labour law; or a Masters degree in social sciences, labour welfare, or other related disciplines with a human rights focus
- Excellent English and Tamil communication, research, documentation, and writing skills
- 3 years of experience in program administration and implementing projects around women’s and workers’ rights, preferably in the labour sector in Tamil Nadu
- Field experience working with vulnerable communities in advancing human rights
- Ability to manage field work with the support of supervisory staff
- Through knowledge of grassroots mobilization, human rights, and gender issues
- Ability to work under pressure and communicate effectively with a diverse audience, ranging from workers in at-risk communities to government officials and international organizations
- Fluency in written and spoken Tamil
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of Hindi
Compensation and other benefits
Salary: Commensurate with experience and in-line with average non-profit sector in India. Nazdeek is a small organization; however, we strive to provide our staff with the support and flexibility they need. The position allows for great career development opportunities, including travel and networking.
Duration: 5 month contract, with possibility of extension
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Tamil Nadu and New Delhi, India
Starting date: February 1, 2019
How to apply
Please note that candidates must hold a valid work permit/visa for India. Nazdeek is unable to support candidates in obtaining work or volunteer visas.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com. The application will be considered incomplete if it does not include a cover letter and writing sample. Please mention the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Nazdeek is an equal employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, age, religious belief or non-belief, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, domestic circumstances, HIV status, disability, or any other protected category.
Address: K-1, Third Floor, Birbal Road, Jangpura Extension
New Delhi, India 110014
Click here for the official website.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.