About Criminal Law Review
Criminal Law Review (CrLR) is an organization which assists the legal fraternity in the field of Criminal Law and Criminology. It aims to create a platform where one could find anything and everything related to criminal law.
About the Competition
This is the first edition of the CrLR National Writing Competition. In this edition, the prime focus is on some major proposed reforms which are in limelight now. It is a great opportunity for enthusiasts of criminal law to present their thoughts and at the same time, to earn good prize money for the same.
Law students pursuing UG or PG from any law college/institute in India are eligible.
Registration Fee & Process
Interested students must register themselves by paying the required registration fee (check the table below). After successful payment, participants must mail the payment receipt to crlreview[at]gmail.com along with their personal details (Name, college, year of study and contact number).
Deadline for Registration is 20th November 2019.
- For 1 Author: Rs. 150
- For 2 Authors: Rs. 250
Method of Payment
Paytm/Google Pay: 8172890212
Should sexual offences be gender-neutral?
This is going to be one of the highly debated topics in the coming months. In fact, recently, Mr K.T.S. Tulsi (Sr. Adv.) introduced a private bill in Rajya Sabha to make sexual offences neutral.
Dilution of the doctrine of Presumption of Innocence/Modification of Principle of ‘Proof beyond a reasonable doubt.’
The Malimath Committee in its report (2003) has questioned the Principle of ‘Proof beyond reasonable doubt’ and has recommended to re-look into this principle. The committee was of the view that ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ principle is too strict and creates a lot of hardship for prosecution, as a result, even guilty ones are acquitted. Is there any need to dilute/replace the principle of ‘proof beyond a reasonable doubt? If so, what are the options available?
Striking a balance between Sedition Law and Right to Freedom of Speech & Expression
Sedition Laws have always been a hot topic since their inceptions and as far as India is concerned, it continues to be so. But how and where do we strike a balance between Sedition Law and Right to Freedom of Speech & Expression?
Need for Sentencing guidelines?
Indian Penal Code, for most of the offences, provides a maximum punishment and for some offences, provides a minimum punishment, and thereby, giving wide discretion to Judges. Is there a need to provide detailed sentencing guidelines so as to minimise uncertainty and discretion?
Role of judiciary in protecting victims’ rights?
There have been many arguments to insert a separate chapter on ‘Victims’ Rights’ in CrPC and to provide more legal rights to them but the legislature hasn’t paid much heed. However, the Supreme Court has, at various occasions stepped forward to protect the interest and rights of victims.
- Co-authorship is permitted (maximum of 2 authors)
- The manuscript submitted must be an original work of the author and must not have been submitted or published elsewhere.
- Word Limit 4000-5500 (inclusive of footnotes).
- The manuscript must not disclose the identity of authors (e.g., their names, name of institution etc..)
- Along with the manuscript, the author(s) must attach a cover letter with the details of the author(s).
- All the required documents (manuscript and cover letter) must be in doc or doc.x format and must be mailed to crlreview[at]gmail.com with subject Manuscript Submission | CrLR | Writing Competition’19.
- Deadline: 25th December 2019
- All the footnotes must be cited as per The Bluebook (20th edition).
- Headings: Times New Roman, Size- 14, Bold, Line Spacing 1.5 and Justified.
- Sub-headings: Times New Roman, Size 13, Bold and Italics, Line Spacing 1.5. and Justified.
- Other Text: Times New Roman, Size 12, Line Spacing 1.5 and justified.
- Footnotes: Times New Roman, Size 10, Line Spacing 1.0 (Follow Bluebook 20th edition).
Certificates & Prizes
Participants will receive ‘participation certificate’. If a manuscript has been co-authored, then both the authors will receive individual certificates.
- Winner: Rs. 5,000
- Runners-up: Rs. 3,000
- Second Runners-up: Rs. 2,000
WhatsApp Number: 7434045410
Note: This is a sponsored post.