Manthan, the debate society of Christ (Deemed to be University),Delhi-NCR is organizing a National Parliamentary Debate Competition from April 19 to 21, 2022.
About the Organizers
Christ (Deemed to be University), Delhi-NCR was born out of the educational vision of St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara, an educationalist and social reformer of the nineteenth century in South India. In 2008, it was declared the institution a Deemed to be University, in the name of Christ University.
The School of Law offers B.A. LL.B., BBA. LL.B., LL.M. and Ph.D. in Law. It has a flexible curriculum offering several options in different areas of specialization.
“Manthan”, the debate society of Christ (Deemed to be University),Delhi-NCR is taken up by like-minded individuals, aiming to deliver knowledge on various contemporary issues along with some basic insight in law which is quite crucial in days to come.
About the Parliamentary Debate
This parliamentary debate aims to enrich students with knowledge regarding certain grey areas of constitutional law, this debate aims to have a deep and sound discussions on certain constitutional law topics which are disputable.
The 3v3 format of the debate enriches students with the important aspects of teamwork and people management. This format of debate puts a student’s knowledge about a certain topic to test, at the same time giving them huge value of experience and content as they listen to other teams arguing their motion.
The competition is open to all the undergraduates/postgraduates’ students affiliated to any recognized
The national Parliamentary Debate Competition would be held online via Google meet.
There are two opposing teams in an Asian format of debate:
- Government side– proposes and defends the motion.
- Opposition side– refute and negates the motion.
- Each side is composed of three members.
The Members of the government side are the following:
- Prime minister (PM)- opens the debate, defines the motion and advances arguments.
- Deputy prime Minister (DPM)- refute at first instance the case of the opposition, reestablish the government’s claim, and advances arguments.
- Government whip (GW)- makes an issue-based rebuttal of the opposition’s case and summarizes the case of the government.
The Members of the Opposition side are the following:
- Leader of the Opposition (LO)- responds directly to the case of the government by giving a direct clash, and advances arguments. May challenge the motion if the definition is challengeable.
- Deputy Leader of the Opposition (DPL)- refutes the case of the DPM, reestablishes the case of the opposition and advances an argument.
- Opposition Whip (OW)- makes an issues-based rebuttal of the government’s and summarizes the case of the opposition.
- Step 1– Participants need to fill details in the Google Forms, the link to which is provided below
- Step 2– If the registration of Participants is being accepted, they will receive a confirmation mail to their registered Email address.
- Step 3– Each team will have to pay the registration fees of Rs. 750
- Step 4– After successful payment, participants will be informed about the same and they need to send the screen shot of the receipt of the payment through email.
Rewards and Prizes
- Winner team: Cash prize of Rs. 12,000 & certificate of appreciation
- Runner up team: Cash prize of Rs. 8,000 & certificate of appreciation
- 2nd runner up team: Cash prize of Rs. 2,500 & certificate of appreciation
- Best Speaker: Cash prize Rs. 2,500 & certificate of appreciation
- Participation certificates will be given
- Last date to register: April 15, 2022
- Date of event: April 19 to 21, 2022
- Ishan Verma (Convener)- 94980696600
- Ananya Jain (Convener) – 7838683437
- Anushka Datta (Co-Convener) – 7073744078
- or write at debateclub.ncr[a]christuniversity.in