The National Human Rights Commission has expressly been mandated to promote Human Rights literacy and awareness vide Section 12 (h) of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
With a view to spread awareness among University students about the need for protection and promotion of Human Rights, the Commission has been regularly conducting ‘Summer and Winter Internship Programmes’ since 1998 and 2000 respectively.
23rd May – 21st June, 2016
1. Students of the 3rd year pursuing 3 years LL.B. Course – (while applying).
2. Students who have completed 3 years of the 3+2 (5) years BA, LLB programme are eligible to apply (while applying).
3. Students pursuing LL.M. Course
4. Students pursuing MA in Human Rights, Political Science, Sociology, Social Work (MSW), Criminology, Public Administration, Rural Development, History, Economics, Commerce, Anthropology, International Relations and any of the discipline of Social Sciences would be considered with preference to students pursuing their final year.
Only students of regular courses of UGC Recognized Universities will be eligible.
5. Students must have attained a minimum of 65% marks in Class XII.
6. Attested photocopies of mark-sheets for each and every year / semester are to be submitted for all the preceding years from Class XII onwards failing which the application will be liable to be rejected.
7. Efforts will be made to give representation to all categories of students.
8. A 500 words write-up (hand-written only) on the topic “Reason for joining as Intern in NHRC” will be required to be submitted by the applicants along with application which will also serve as a basis of selection. Students who have research potential in the areas relating to human rights will be preferred (As indicated by them write-up).
9. The merit will be made on the basis of marks calculated out of a total of 100 marks on account of Class XII @ 30 Marks, Graduation @ 30 Marks and the Marks scored in the Write-up of 500 words @ 40 Marks.
10. Students who have attended the regular one month Summer / Winter Internship Programmes organized by NHRC earlier will not be eligible to apply.
Maximum 50 students will be admitted for Summer Internship Programme 2016.
The selected interns from outside Delhi will be allowed ordinary second-class train fare to New Delhi and back to their place of study through the shortest route.
For interns other than from Delhi (NCR) will be paid an amount of Rs. 8000/- (Rupees eight thousand only) as stipend. Students from Delhi and National Capital Region (NCR) will be paid Rs. 4,000/- (four thousand only) as stipend.
An amount of Rs. 15,000/- will be distributed to the interns who are placed in I, II and III position in the order of merit.