Conducted By Indian Direct Selling Association, Delhi
The Indian Direct Selling Association IDSA is an autonomous, self-regulatory body for the direct selling industry in India. The Association acts as an interface between the industry and policy-making bodies of the Government facilitating the cause of Direct Selling Industry in India.
Definition and Background:
‘Direct Selling’ means the supply of consumer products and / or providing services to individuals who operate in the non store retail format under National Industrial Classification (NIC) 2008 & United Nations Central Product Classification (UNCPC) and sell products or services directly to consumers.
Direct Selling Industry has been operating successfully all over the world since last 100 Years. In the Indian context, it has been operating since last 16 Years.
Time and again the image of this industry has been tarnished by fraudulent operators who are operating under the garb of Direct Selling Industry. There is a collapse between Direct Selling Industry and Fraudulent Operators as the fraudulent operators use the similar multi-level compensation structure to incentivize their team.
To control and weed out the fraudulent operators, Ministry of Finance enacted an act namely The Prize Chits & Money Circulation Scheme (Banning) Act of 1978. It was enacted to weed out prize chit, money chain and other financial fraud. PCMC Act is inapplicable to Direct Selling Industry as it is a trade and commerce activity and this business model differs both in form and function.
To elaborate, direct selling is an alternate channel of distribution and means the marketing of consumer products/services directly to the consumers generally in their homes or the homes of others, at their workplace and other places away from permanent retail locations, usually through explanation or demonstration of the products by a direct seller.
About the Competition:
The essay competition has the purpose to bring out original and concrete views of the students on the Direct Selling Industry. There is a huge debate going on over the applicability of the Prize Chits and Money Circulation Scheme (Banning) Act, 1978 on the direct selling industry which is a trade and commerce activity.
In the essay, we look forward to a detail analysis of the status quo and putting forward suggestions on the applicability of the said Act with your suggestions to improve the regulatory challenges for Direct Selling Industry.
Your pragmatic views would serve as an instrument for change to the problems that persist.
Theme: REGULATORY CHALLENGES FOR THE DIRECT SELLING INDUSTRY.
- 1st Prize: 16,000
- 2nd Prize: 8,000
- 3rd Prize: 5,000
7 consolation prizes would be awarded on recommendation of the panel.
- Co-authorship of 2 people (max.) is allowed.
- The essay must be written in English only.
- No person is allowed to submit more than one essay.
- All submissions have to be made in .doc or .docx format with font type as Times New Roman, size 12 with 1.5 line spacing.
- Citation style to be followed is Bluebook 19th Edition.
- The essay should not exceed 6000 words, excluding footnotes
- The essay must be accompanied by an abstract of not more than 500 words.
- The final essay would be judged on the basis of lucidity and structure of the essay, relevance to the theme, the research questions raised in the essay, the analysis or the author’s own views/opinions and finally probable solutions to the existing problems.
- The decision of the panel will be final in all regards.
- The details about the author/s should be mentioned on the first page of the document including the contact details.
- Plagiarized work will be disqualified
- Final essays should be submitted to [email protected] with subject of the mail reading as “National Essay Writing Competition, 2013”
Student enrolled in undergraduate course L.L.B in either 3 year or 5 year integrated course would be eligible for National Essay Writing Competition, 2013.
The soft copy of the essays must reach the designated email addresses by 20th November 2013 (23:59)
All original works submitted for this competition shall assign their copyright to Indian Direct Selling Association, which shall become the sole proprietor of the works submitted.
Madhuri Maheshwari, Coordinator
Email: [email protected]