Consumers India in collaboration with The Society for Upliftment of Masses (SUM), an NGO, is inviting applications for its Monsoon Batch of ‘We for Change’ Internship Program 2022.
About the Organization
Consumers India is an intellectually strong organization comprising senior officers of the Government of India (generally retired), doctors, engineers, academics, and others, who have joined hands to use their knowledge and experience for the well-being of consumers.
The organization was registered on 18.05.2007 under Societies Registration Act, 1860. It is also registered under Sections 12A read with section 12AA and 80 G (5) (vi) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Consumers India has taken up several important campaigns with a view to safeguarding the interests of a large number of consumers. Some of them relate to ‘Unethical Medical Practices’, ‘Misleading Ads’, ‘Ageing with Dignity’, ‘Access to Affordable Medicines’, ‘Right to Information’, ‘Justice for all…Just Now’, ‘I am a city changer’, ‘Junk the junk food’ etc.
Catalyzing the energy of youth through the Internship Programme and All-India Painting/Slogan/On-line Contests etc has been a major milestone achieved by Consumers India.
Further details may be found here.
The Society for Upliftment of Masses (SUM), An NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations, has an active interface with United Nations.
The statements submitted by the Society for ECOSOC High-Level Segments during 2013, 2014, 2015, 2021, and 2022 were accepted by the Secretary-General of the United Nations. They were circulated amongst all member States after being translated into all the UN languages.
Several strategies have been suggested in these Statements for sustaining gains relating to ‘Health’ and ‘Nutrition’ in the Post-MDG era.
The Society had sent detailed comments to UN on the ‘Sustainable Development Goals’, with special reference to the Goal relating to Health and Wellbeing at all Ages.
Most of the suggestions made by it have found their place in the ‘2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 25 September 2015.
Click here to view further details.
Those interested in joining this program may note the above schedule and email their application and photograph in the prescribed format, which is given below at the earliest, well within the prescribed deadline, to [email protected].
Those who had sent their application for internship earlier are required to apply afresh for enrolment in this batch.
About the Internship
‘Internship’ program was launched by Consumers India for students pursuing higher education on September 15, 2012 and 39 batches have since been held successfully. They have studied important consumer issues under the able guidance of experienced mentors.
Several issues, highlighted by interns in their studies, have been taken up with the concerned authorities at the highest level. Details of studies undertaken by interns so far may be viewed here.
With a view to meeting the increasing demand for internships from various institutions/segments, ‘We for Change’ Internship was launched on November 7, 2015. This internship focuses on acquiring knowledge about various aspects of consumer movement through discussions, case studies, exercises, project work and other innovative ways and making use of that knowledge in day-to-day life.
The program will familiarise participants with burning consumer concerns like consumer justice, misleading advertisements, junk food, unethical medical practices, Right to Information, etc and help them make well-informed decisions by being aware consumers.
Participants will also gain practical knowledge and experience in conducting research and survey on a consumer issue and analyzing that data in a presentable format under the guidance of mentors.
Students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, Ph D or any other higher education programme in any discipline from recognised institutions in India
This is the first batch of ‘Hybrid Internship’.
At the end of the Internship, you will
- Become an enlightened consumer, familiar with your rights and responsibilities as a consumer
- Make well informed decisions in your day-today life
- Be able to avoid the trap of misleading advertisements
- Be able to report misleading ads to Advertising Standards Authority of India (ASCI) and GAMA and also help others do it
- Be familiar with the power of RTI Act
- Be able to file RTI applications for seeking information from Public Authorities and also help others do it
- Gain practical knowledge and experience of conducting research and survey on a consumer issue and analysing that data in a presentable format under guidance of mentors.
- Gain practical knowledge and experience of presenting your research and survey findings through PPT and disseminating your findings through social media.
Guidelines for Internship
- This internship is open to students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, Ph D or any other higher education programme in any discipline from recognised institutions in India, having interest in consumer issues and having sufficient capabilities for hybrid format of internship.
- Interested candidates are required to fill up prescribed form with complete and correct details. They are also required to give at least one reference with complete details in their application.
- Their suitability for internship with Consumers India will be adjudged on the basis of their application. They will be inducted into internship if found suitable. Decision of Consumers India will be final in this regard.
- Applicants finally selected for this internship will be informed individually through email. No correspondence will be entertained in this regard from unsuccessful candidates.
- Internship will be held in ‘Hybrid’ Mode.
- No stipend is paid to interns by Consumers India. Similarly no reimbursement of expenditure incurred on travel etc is made by Consumers India.
- Consumers India is not responsible for any arrangements for stay etc for outstation candidates.
- Induction Workshop will be organised at the start of the Internship Batch in physical mode. After the induction process is over, the intern will be assigned a project/study to be completed in a group during the period of internship. The subject of this project/study would be decided keeping in view the preferences given by the intern.
- Participation in Induction Workshop is a mandatory requirement. Candidates, who do not participate in the Induction Workshop, will not be inducted into internship.
- In addition to above, Interns would be expected to take up some individual activities and promotional and voluntary assignments given by Consumers India and raise awareness regarding concerns and activities of Consumers India as per guidelines provided from time to time.
- Interns will be expected to actively participate in other programmes organised by Consumers India in physical mode from time to time.
- The progress of the assignments would be monitored on weekly basis. Interns would be expected to be ready for physical meetings, as also for video-interaction with mentors as per requirement.
- Intellectual inputs and guidelines to facilitate successful completion of this programme will be provided by experts in Consumers India.
- Interns would be expected to follow the time schedule assigned for each activity and submit their assignments, duly approved by Mentor well in time. They will also submit Completion and Evaluation Report in prescribed format.
- The internship will conclude with Debriefing Workshop, which is generally held on the scheduled date of completion. In this workshop interns will present their studiesthrough PPTs and answer questions posed to them by Consumers India Team.
- Internship Certificate will be given to all successful interns by Consumers India.
- After evaluation by experts, the products emanating from this internship assignments may be utilised for awareness and advocacy campaigns of Consumers India and SUM and wherever required.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Intern
Interns would be expected to choose one of the following subjects for specific study. Link to the write ups on our Blog relating to each of the broad themes has also been provided.
- Specific Study: Do we really need gluten-free food products
- Broad Theme: Junk Food and Nutrition
- Specific Study: Truth about Packaged Fruit Juices
- Broad Theme: Junk Food and Nutrition
- Specific Study: Noise Pollution and Consumers
- Broad Theme: Reduce Your Climate Foot Print
Click here to view the profile of the Mentors.
- Last date for receipt of complete application in prescribed format: August 14, 2022
- Finalisation of selection process and communication to applicants: August 17-19, 2022
- Date of Induction: August 20, 2022
- Period of Internship: 6 weeks from August 20, 2022 to October 2, 2022
- Date of final submission of research study and other assignments, duly approved by Mentors: September 18, 2022
- Discussion on Infographics and individual activities; final submission of Completion & Evaluation Report and residual assignments: September 19-25, 2022
- Discussion on PPTs and Debriefing workshop (Interns will present their studies through PPTs): September 26-October 2, 2022