The importance of International Law (IL) and European Union law (EUL) has increased tremendously over the past decades.
International Law traditionally dealt with the structure and conduct of states only, but it has evolved and addresses other actors such as individuals, international organizations and multinational corporations. Likewise, the European Union and subsequently her law has gone through immense development in the course of the last decades.
The European Union – being a unique international organization – has a complex system of law which not only affects the legal systems of her member states but it can also directly affect the rights and obligations of individuals. What is more, as ruled by the European Court of Justice, EU law takes supreme position over state laws and even state constitutions.
This course will provide an indispensable guide to this burgeoning field of law through engaging in following topics such as Multilevel governance of European Union, Law-Making in the European Union multilevel system, evolving accountability setting in European Union, Data Protection and Rights and law related to International Treaties of European Union.
The objective of the Course
The primary objectives of the course are as below:
- To expose participants about the basic concepts on International Law and European Union Law.
- To enable participants to understand the multi-level governance setting and enforcement mechanism of the European Union.
- To identify and critically engage in the issues related to international treaties of the European Union, Lisbon and Maastricht Treaties.
- To enable participants to understand and compare issues in different jurisdictions, primarily the European Union and Germany.
Each participant will receive a detailed study material and reading compendium (essential and additional reading for each session). Printed copies of the Treaty on European Union, the Treaty on the Function of the European Union and the EU Charta of Fundamental Rights will be provided on the first day.
|1||The political systems of the European Union and of Germany compared: multilevel governance
|2||Law making in the European Union multilevel system – from unanimity decision-making to the Ordinary Legislative Procedure
|3||The European Court of Auditors, National Independent Audit Institutions and the newly established European Public Prosecutor’s Office (EPPO) – the Evolving Accountability Setting in
the EU Multilevel System.
|4||The rights to data protection and privacy and the new EU General Data Protection Regulation – the EU as a role-model for other parts
of the world?
|5||Police information sharing, secrecy and data protection in the European Union before and after the Treaty
Pedagogic Methods: Interactive Lectures, Discussions, Case study and group work exercises.
Speaker of the Course
- Hartmut Aden, Professor of European and German Public Law, Public Policy and Public Administration at the Berlin School of Economics and Law (HWR, Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin) and Deputy Director of the Berlin Institute for Safety and Security Research (FÖPS Berlin).
- 1000/- for in-house MNLU Mumbai Students
- 4,000/- for Non-MNLU Mumbai Students ( Without Hostel Facility)
- Rs. 7,000/- For Non-MNLU Mumbai Students (With Hostel-Food Facility)
Who Can Attend?
This course is open to all B.A.LL.B/LLB/LLM students as well as undergraduate and postgraduate students of humanities and social sciences.
How to Apply?
Applications complete in all respects, together the statement of interest and payment receipt must reach via online at Email: [email protected] List of successful candidates will be uploaded on the website www.nlumumbai.edu.in on or before 15th March 2019. Seats will be allotted on a first come first serve basis.
Note: Total intake of students: 50 (Max).
Important Dates & Time
- Application deadline: 15th March, 2019 (before 15.00 Hrs.)
- Decision communicated to candidates: 15th March, 2019
- Course starts: Monday, 18th March, 2019 Course ends: Thursday 21st March, 2019 Duration: 18th-21st March, 2019
- Time: 2:30 PM to 5.00 PM (Everyday)
Venue: Cafeteria Classroom, 2nd Floor, MNLU Mumbai (CETTM Campus, Powai).
Mode of Payment
- Name of Bank Account: Maharashtra National Law University Fees Collection A/c
- Account No: 915010046322292
- Name of Bank: AXIS BANK LTD
- Branch: New Marines Lines (Mumbai)
- IFS Code: UTIB0000233
NOTE: The UTR (Unique Transaction Receipt) generated with the transaction may be forwarded along with the application form at [email protected].
NOTE: You may also draw an Account Payee Demand Draft of the course fee drawn on any nationalised/Scheduled Bank favouring “MAHARASHTRA NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY MUMBAI” payable at Mumbai.
• Mr. Milind Gavai (Assistant Professor- Law) & Course Director, Maharashtra National Law University Mumbai Email: [email protected] Mobile: +91- 9987380693.
• Dr. Rahul Suresh Sapkal (Assistant Professor-Economics) & Course- Coordinator, Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai Email: [email protected] Mobile: +91-9769928533.
• Dr. Anand Raut (Assistant Professor- Law) & Course-Coordinator, Maharashtra National Law University Mumbai Email:
[email protected] Mobile:+91-9422881721
For more information, download, registration form & brochure.