Morgan Stanley is seeking to hire a law professional for the job role of Manager – Technology & Data Legal, for its Technology & Data Legal Group, Mumbai.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management, and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
About the Role and the Team
LCD comprises Legal, Compliance, Global Financial Crimes and Regulatory Relations. The LCD Center of Excellence, Mumbai (LCD CoE) is a part of Morgan Stanley’s Global In-house Center, which provides global support to LCD and is an integral part of Firm and LCD strategy.
The Technology & Data Legal Group (T&D Legal) is a global group with lawyers based in New York, London and Hong Kong.
T&D Legal is a group within the Legal and Compliance Division of Morgan Stanley.
The offshore Legal and Compliance Department in Mumbai is a department of the Legal and Compliance Division and provides support services to onshore lawyers in the Legal and Compliance Division.
This role will form part of the offshore Legal and Compliance Department in Mumbai and also T&D Legal. Primary internal stakeholders include attorneys in the T&D Legal team and contract managers in the sourcing team.
Primary Responsibilities (Day Job)
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a full range of commercial contracts that may include some or all of the following:
- Software Agreements
- Hardware Purchase Agreements
- Multimedia Agreements
- Services Agreements/Engagement Letters
- Training, Events and Sponsorship Agreements
- Termination Letters/Novation
- Legal Research – Conducting legal research and assisting in other ad hoc project work
- Data Privacy – Privacy Impact Assessment , Review/Negotiate Data Privacy Exhibits and handle other miscellaneous tasks
- Assisting in the organization and maintenance of form/template contracts
- Handling large-scale contract remediation and data extraction projects
- Duties such as tracking status of legal matters
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified lawyer LLB (LLM will be an added advantage)
- 5-8 years post qualification experience at a law firm or in-house role in financial services or technology sectors
- Solid track record working in a professional environment
- Candidate with prior legal research/projects/data background is preferred
- Understanding of legal documents and terminologies
- Basic understanding and exposure to international commercial and technology law and terminologies will be an added advantage
- Should exhibit comfort working with technology and the ability to learn and display proficiency on technical systems and programs.
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel proficiency is required – specific focus on excel macros)
- Knowledge of document automation, contract analysis and other legal tech software an advantage
Skills and Qualities
- Team player who can successfully manage multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to think independently, form opinions and make decisions
- Ability to anticipate ahead of time and escalate issues as appropriate
- Pragmatic and analytical problem solving skills – candidate needs to consistently apply sound judgment
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills ? ability to effectively correspond with various groups and senior professionals over email and the telephone
- Must be able to maintain a high level of organization under pressure
- Successfully meet established deadline requirements ? display efficient time management skills
- Possess the ability to research and resolve issues independently
- Experience in stakeholder management with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with colleagues across regions and Business Units
- Have the ability to effectively handle a fast paced environment
- Ability to identify and recommend process efficiencies
- Leadership experience is an advantage
- Attention to detail