The Walt Disney Company is seeking to hire a law professional for the job role of Manager-Legal, for its office in Mumbai.
About the Company
The Walt Disney Company, commonly known as Disney, is an American diversified multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate headquartered at the Walt Disney Studios complex in Burbank, California.
The Walt Disney Company India Private Limited, known simply as Disney India, is an Indian subsidiary of the Indo Pacific region of the American media and entertainment conglomerate The Walt Disney Company and headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
In March 2019, after the acquisition of 21st Century Fox by Disney, which included Indian TV giant Star India, Disney India became India’s biggest television broadcaster.
About the Opportunity
The Walt Disney Company, India is seeking the services of a legal professional for the role of Manager (Legal), for its office in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Commercial contracts: Demonstrated (hands on experience) subject matter knowledge in structuring, drafting, negotiating and closing all types of transactions;
- Software technology agreements, master service agreements, content acquisition and syndication agreements, production agreements, mobile technology agreements, value added services agreements, app embedding agreements, app distribution agreements.
- Procurement agreements and services agreements.
- Prior experience in drafting, negotiating contracts pertaining to the OTT world
- Drafting of pleadings – writ petitions, plaints, complaints, written statements, company petitions, appeals, revisions, winding up petitions, statements of claim etc. before trial courts, High Court(s), Supreme Court;
- Assist in strategizing and formulating litigation strategy in line with commercial objectives of the company
- Research and analysis of various policies, amendments, bills, consultation papers, notifications, on corporate law matters.
- Timeline adherence for assignments handled
- Ability to coordinate across various functions to ensure completion and compliance.
- Providing sound and practical legal advice pertaining to all corporate and contractual issues, inter alia, under contract law, IPR laws, etc.
- LLB from a Premier Law College. LLM from a reputed University would be a plus but not a must.
- Preferably in Telecom, IT, ISP or Broadcasting Sector
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Providing sound and practical legal advice pertaining to corporate and commercial legal issues.
- A good understanding and application of Intellectual Property Laws such as the Copyright Act & Rules & the Trade Marks Act and rules. Knowledge of ISP, E-commerce, Digital Media, Legal, Regulatory matters would be a plus.
- A reasonable understanding of procedural laws such as CPC, CrPC, and also substantive laws such as IPC, and other economic offenses statutes.
- Experience in drafting, negotiating digital rights and technology contracts and content-related agreements, understanding of the regulatory regime in distribution and ad sales would be a plus.
- Demonstrated (hands on experience) in contract drafting, good negotiation, and execution skills i.e., ability to draft, review, negotiate and close transactions independently with minimal supervision
- Should have excellent research, analytical skills and should be able to exercise judgment and discretion to opine on compliance/ legal issues effectively.
- Able to mentor and drive efficiencies with direct reportees and to be a trusted member within the legal/compliance team. Should enhance industry specific understanding and be an effective negotiator.
- Able to prioritize efficiently, and communicate regularly and appropriately with other departments is essential.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively within a team and a fast-paced dynamic business environment
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to communicate legal issues and solutions in an articulate, precise and effective manner
- Demonstrated skills in leadership and people management.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Good team player
- Ability to travel at short notice outside Mumbai – both in India and overseas. Should be open to intra-group company transfer.
- Leverages business understanding / functional expertise to deliver value to customer
- Anticipates potential barriers and develops alternate strategies; formulates an informed action plan to solve the problem
- Strong communication skills and good command over English (both oral and written) and the ability to interface with people across all levels in the organization. Pleasing personality is a must.