About the Institution
Azim Premji University was established in Karnataka by the Azim Premji University Act 2010 as a not-for-profit University and is recognized by The University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 2F.
Location: Admission Office, PES Campus, Pixel Park, B Block Hosur Road, beside NICE Road, Electronic City, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560100
About the Programme
Azim Premji University launched a one-year Post Graduate Programme in Law and Development (Masters in Law/LLM) in 2016. The Programme seeks to initiate a decisive, novel and meaningful intervention at the intersection of the domains of Law and Development in India.
Why an LLM at Azim Premji University?
The Master’s degree in Law and Development at Azim Premji University aims to remedy these deficits with a postgraduate legal education programme that is:
- Empirically grounded, and
- Refocuses law and legal education to the ethical resolution of critical public policy problems.
This programme will integrate two distinct approaches to the study of law and legal institutions in India:
- The first is to develop a textured, empirical understanding of how law and legal institutions operate in Indian society.
- The second is to develop an ability to use the law to respond to critical problems in social policy.
The LLM in Law and Development seeks bright, motivated students who are interested in the social context, as well as the social impact of the law and, are interested in contributing to development practices and discourse through the medium of the law. The programme will attract graduates with:
- A Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized degree-granting University in India or abroad. As the Bachelor of Laws is in most cases a non-specialist degree, the LL.M. Programme will be open to students with diverse interests in law.
- Applicants must clear the entrance examination held by Azim Premji University for the postgraduate programmes.
- The motivation for work in government and civil society or an academic career in the law.
- Social awareness and engagement with the role of law in development.
- Proven academic ability and potential.
Early Admission: Admission for LLM programme in the early admissions window is open now.
Students will be shortlisted based on the rank in the National Entrance Test conducted by Azim Premji University on February 08 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be called for a personal interview.
Regular Admission: University may decide to conduct regular admissions, Applications for the Regular admissions for LLM in Law & Development will be open in April 2020. Only candidates who are appearing for CLAT or LSAT India 2020 will be eligible to apply. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their CLAT/LSAT India scores and will be called for a personal interview.
To apply, click here.
Important Dates for Early Admission
- Availability of Online Application Forms: November 19
- Last date for receipt of completed application form: 22nd January 2020
- National Entrance Test: 08th February 2020
- Personal Interviews: March 2019
- Commencement of programme: July 2019
Click here for information on Fee structure and other details for 2020 admissions. This is subject to revision on an annual basis.
The University provides hostel facilities only for women at leased premises located 2-3 kms from the campus. There is No hostel facility available for Men at the moment. However, the university will help students find accommodation closer to the campus. Financial support will be provided for deserving students for their accommodation and food.
The University offers group insurance facility covering life, hospitalization and accident insurance. There is no additional charge for this.
Some additional expenses that students are likely to incur during the course of the Programme are as follows:
|Law & Policy Hub
||Type of Expense
|In all semesters
||Students are expected to bear the travel expenses if any
Neeraj Grover: neeraj.grover[at]apu.edu.in
For the brochure, click here.