The National Law University, Delhi (‘University’) through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, one Associate (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi. The contract will be for one year initially and can be extended by another year at the discretion of the University. The Associate will be responsible for working on cases being handled by the Project of prisoners sentenced to death.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. We undertake litigation, research and outreach relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, forensic psychiatry and death penalty (For more information on Project 39A, visit this page)
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by the Project and carry out related research.
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist advocates on record and senior counsels.
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, their families and trial/appellate court lawyers as part of developing legal strategy in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case specific information and documents.
- Collect case records maintained by prisons, previous lawyers, family members or court record rooms.
- Present the work of the Project at appropriate fora.
- Organise training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of the Project.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will be within the range of Rs. 50,000 – Rs.60,000 per month.
Interested persons may send their resumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in working on issues of death penalty and the contribution that they see themselves making. The statement of purpose must not exceed 500 words.
Please send your resumé and statement of purpose to [email protected].
The subject of the e-mail should be “Project 39A-Application for Associate (Litigation)”.
Applications must reach us no later than midnight of 14th September 2018 after which the applications won’t be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be informed about the interview date by 25th September 2018.
For official notification, click here.