Justice Ventures International secures Freedom, Justice and Restoration for the poor and oppressed by strengthening ventures that promote justice.
About the Position
Consultant – Full Time
JVI is seeking a skilled, committed criminal lawyer with a passion for human rights work to ensure justice for victims of human trafficking, sexual abuse and domestic violence, inter alia, for its Mumbai office (hereinafter referred to as “MJRC”).
The Advocate will be responsible for representing victims of injustice through a combination of direct legal service, management of JVI advocates and cases, and consultation for JVI’s partners and projects. The Advocate will be based in Mumbai and will report to the Program Manager, Mumbai.
Number of Vacancies
The position requires that the Consultant be able to fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Ensure perpetrator accountability in trafficking and human rights cases in different courts by working closely with Public Prosecutors and other stakeholders in the criminal justice system.
- Support access to justice for marginalized persons by providing legal representation and advice, for both trial and appellate/high court casework.
- File petitions for victim compensation for survivors of human trafficking and other human right abuse.
- Lead, advice and assist NGO’s and government authorities in anti-human trafficking rescue operations.
- Develop, conduct and participate in training’s for government, NGO stakeholders and communities.
- Develop and maintain a strong practical and theoretical legal knowledge in JVI’s casework focus areas through ongoing training, research and experience.
- Develop resource material for ensuring best practices for anti-human trafficking operations in the state of Maharashtra and also other parts of India.
- Advise NGO partners with regard to various legal aspects of anti-human trafficking operations.
- Advocate with government agencies and NGO’s to ensure the swift rescue and effective rehabilitation of human trafficking survivors.
- Advocate with and forge strong partnerships with the District and State Legal Services Authorities on Legal Aid Programs to assist victims of human trafficking.
- Facilitate the ongoing implementation of casework projects including reviewing cases, analyzing the progress of cases, updating information databases, giving verbal and written advice to JVI partners and their advocates on various human rights issues.
- Liaising with the JVI India team, partners and government stakeholders to ensure legal casework and overall programmatic goals are met.
- Where required, supporting JVI’s work in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and other states by facilitating the implementation of anti-trafficking casework in those states and liaising with JVI teams in those states.
- Represent JVI at select meetings and events, where appropriate engage attendees on issues pertaining to JVI’s work.
- Carry out additional assignments as mutually agreed upon by the Consultant and JVI.
The Consultant will be based in Mumbai. Travel throughout Maharashtra will be required in order to carry out the Consultancy. Travel outside Maharashtra also be required under the Consultancy.
The position requires that the Consultant possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in Law.
- Minimum 3 to 5-years practice in criminal law.
- Legal knowledge and experience on POCSO Act, D.V. Act and other criminal law and procedure would be an advantage.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of the Indian criminal procedure.
- Fluency in English and Hindi (Speaking, Reading, and Writing), Marathi a Bonus
Experience and skills
It would be preferred if the Consultant has had experience and possesses skills relating to the following:
- Human rights work, preferably having represented cases under the ITPA, BLA, POCSO Act and D.V. Act.
- Analyzing criminal cases and identifying gaps in the implementation of criminal procedure;
- Building and managing partnerships;
- Project management;
- Understanding and implementing rights-based development strategies and projects;
- Navigating relationships in professional settings;
- Facilitate, supervise and motivate the work of team members, particularly lawyers and social workers;
- Demonstrating initiative, self-motivation and problem-solving skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to successfully set tasks and accomplish project goals with minimal supervision.
The Consultant must possess the following qualities:
- Professional demeanour;
- Proven ability to solve complex problems; and
- Superior written and verbal communications in English.
As per industry standards.
How to apply?
Apply by sending email to hr[at]justiceventures.org
Email: hr[at]justiceventures.org and info[at]justiceventures.org