The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Lead Trust & Safety Policy Manager to join the Legal team to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
The role will most probably involve working remotely.
About Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is an American non-profit and charitable organization headquartered in San Francisco, California. It is mostly known for participating in the Wikimedia movement. It owns the internet domain names of many movement projects and hosts sites like Wikipedia.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking to hire a Lead Trust & Safety Policy Manager for the legal team so as to freely share the knowledge and its strategic direction – that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge.
- Identifying strategic gaps in the Foundation’s Trust & Safety policies protecting the volunteer communities and the platform against trust and safety challenges, collaborating with key stakeholders in identifying solution pathways, and leading development and implementation of those solutions.
- Collaborating closely with the wider Trust & Safety team, Wikimedia Foundation’s legal and public policy teams, and key Wikimedia functionaries in areas related to Trust & Safety both to understand gaps, comprehend solutions, and develop workable improvements.
- Collaborating intensively and, when appropriate, publicly with Wikimedia project contributors and users on initiatives enhancing adherence to Wikimedia’s Universal Code of Conduct and otherwise promoting resilient and sustainable communities.
- Leading Trust & Safety’s academic and NGO relations and collaboration projects in order to build a shared industry-wide understanding of trust and safety best practices and to bring that shared understanding to the Wikimedia movement.
- Related, exploring and implementing best practices in online platform policy development and Trust & Safety management by reviewing activities in other organizations, and engaging other Trust & Safety Specialists.
- Communicating with key stakeholders in a precise, detailed or high-level communication style, depending on the needs of the organization and community.
Skills and Experience Required
- Proven experience effectively managing strategic online platform policy projects and initiatives in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong research background; highly proficient in synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data into actionable insights
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to synthesize complex topics and create compelling narratives for various audiences
- Experience working in a global organization that has a distributed workforce
- Understanding of both social and technical approaches to support enhancing community interactions and dynamics
- Ability to effectively partner with multiple levels
- Ability to identify effective solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
Preferred Competencies and Qualities
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open-source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance
- Proficiency in pulling/synthesizing data and identifying trends, causation, correlation, etc (high-level SQL preferred)
- Command of major languages beyond English is seen as a plus
More job posts that you might be interested in
- JOB POST: Business System Analyst [Legal] at Snowflake [Remote Work]: Apply Now!
- JOB POST: Trust and Safety Manager at Facebook India, Gurgaon: Apply Now!
- JOB POST: Associate-Domestic Language at Accenture, Mumbai [Any Graduate]: Apply Now!
- JOB POST: Compliance Risk Analyst at Citi, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- JOB POST: Contracts Counsel [Legal] at Bain & Company, Delhi: Apply Now!