Dealing with Trademark Objections
Lawctopus’ 1st Model TM Registry Contest
IP Awareness Series Part I
About Lawctopus Law School
Conceptualized and kick-started in May 2019, and formally launched in March 2020, Lawctopus Law School has taught a wide range of skills to over 3000 law students, young lawyers, professionals, academicians, and business people in the last 10 months. Over 300 students have rated our courses and the average rating is 89/100 and call our online courses a ‘warm’ learning experience!
Our courses on Legal Research and Writing, Contract Drafting and Negotiation, Litigation Basics, ODR, IPRs (with separate modules too for Trademarks, Copyrights, and Patents), and Mooting have transformed how people look at legal education and online legal education. Our free and open webinars have been attended by over 20,000 people.
This has meant wide-ranging industry recognition with tie-ups with law firms like Surana and Surana, Sujata Choudhari IP Attorneys, publishers like Oakbridge, industry bodies like Delhi Management Association, etc. We were also shortlisted for the Agami Prize 2020.
Day, date, time: Saturday, March 27, 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM and Sunday, March 28, 1:30 PM- 3:00 PM
Platform: Zoom (with all mandated safeguards in place).
Fees: INR 200
Please note that the Lawctopus Law School Alumni Group is eligible for free entry. If you are a member of our Alumni Group, kindly email us or comment below to get your coupon code.
Certificates: An e-certificate will be issued by Lawctopus Law School provided you complete the tasks assigned and attend both the sessions.
Batch Strength: 50 on first come first serve basis
About the Contest
We hear a lot about intellectual property and brand protection in these “Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan” times. This only births the need for more competent IP Attorneys to help the baby businesses and dream jobs flourish.
To protect a brand , you must protect its name by getting it registered as a Trademark.
Did you know that a Trademark does not automatically get registered just by filing an application? It is a long and hard process fraught with objections, oppositions and obstacles every step of the way.
Yes, there are many steps to follow just to be able to get a brand name successfully registered as a Trademark.
The battle of brands at courts really begins at the Trademark Registry. It’s at the Registrar’s office where you file the application. It’s here where objections by Registrars and oppositions by the public are dealt with. A competent Trademark Attorney MUST be well-prepared to handle them.
At law school and even after, we give too much importance to the way we act and present ourselves in courtrooms and too little attention to what goes on in Tribunals or at the lowest strata of any kind of proceeding (which, contrary to popular belief, is yet another aspect of lawyering). Ignorance in this regard could severely hamper the quality of our work and the sanctity of our services.
Let’s remedy that, shall we?
Lawctopus Law School has brought to you an opportunity to get a taste of the real world by participating in this 2- day Contest where you get to play the role of a TM Attorney making submissions before the Trademark Registry to remove objections and allow your Trademark Application to move forward.
Day one, March 27
- Our panelists (experienced Trademark Attorneys) will give you an overview of the Trademark Registration Procedure as per the Trademarks Act, 1999.
- Thereafter, a dummy Examination Report (which is prepared by the Registrars in real life objecting to the application) and Show-Cause Notice (which is served upon the applicant to appear before the Registrar and make submissions as to why the application must not be rejected) will be released.
- You will be given instructions to draft your reply (as a Trademark Attorney) and prepare your submissions for the show cause hearing.
Day two, March 28
- You will get a chance to make your submissions before the panelists (judging as Registrars at the Trademarks Registry).
- Declaration of the top three winners.
- You will also receive feedback on your performances and tips to improve.
What’s your Prize?
- The first place winner will be hailed as the star performer in addition to winning an internship at Sujata Chaudhri IP Attorneys! Hold your horses, (s)he will also be awarded full scholarship for our online course on Intellectual Property- Law & Practice.
- The second and third place winners will be awarded full scholarships for our online course on Trademarks- Law & Practice.
- All three winners will also receive Merit Certificates & Letters of Recommendation from Lawctopus Law School.
- Everyone will receive a certificate of participation and truck loads of knowledge from experienced IP Attorneys.
You can find the detailed schedule of the contest here.
Who Should Participate?
If you are a law student (any year, any college), you can participate in this contest. If you are a legal professional who has never encountered the wrath of Trademarks Registry, you are more than welcome too! We are only looking for the zeal and passion to learn and grow as competent attorneys.
What Will You Learn?
- What is a Trademark?
- What is the Trademark Registration Procedure?
- What is an Examination Report and how to draft its reply?
- How to make submissions before the Registrar?
- How to be a successful Trademark Attorney?
You will be able to answer all of these questions after completing this two-day contest by listening to practicing attorneys and engaging in a healthy and fun contest with each other.
About The Panelists
Adv. H.B. Keshava is a highly accomplished Attorney with a practice focusing on IPRs, corporate, arbitration and cyber laws. He is the Founder and Managing Partner of Baskaran and Associates with the goal to serve start-ups and young companies. The firm’s reputation is such that many MNCs have also taken up many services from the firm due to the experience and knowledge of H.B. Keshava and his team.
He is also a guest lecturer and motivational speaker at many different institutes, universities and colleges in the country. Furthermore, he helps develop businesses for Start-ups and Small-Scale Industries. an alumnus of The University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun and later completed his Masters in Law from Indian Law Society’s ILS Law College, Pune. He is a Degree holder and a Masters holder in Science as well. He also carries multiple Diplomas in the field of Law and Science to his name. He is also a Lead Auditor for ISO certification.
H.B. Keshava lives by only one rule “Give and Serve even if the benefiter cannot give back.”
H.B. Keshava is one of our most beloved faculty members, he takes live sessions for our courses on Intellectual Property- Law & Practice, Trademarks- Law & Practice and Copyrights- Law & Practice. His sessions are the highest rated and most looked forward to by our learners because of Keshava’s raw honesty in sharing his knowledge and teaching from experience.
Deeksha Anand graduated from National Law University, Lucknow in 2015. Her practice focuses on trademark and design prosecution, including prosecuting international applications filed through the World Intellectual Property Organization, and trademark opposition and cancellation actions.
She regularly advises clients on contested matters across diverse industries, including, apparel, accessory, automobile, pharmaceutical, sports, tobacco and e-commerce. She also has experience in handling domain name disputes and transfers.
Besides her advisory practice, Deeksha also assists with the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution practice, and often appears before various judicial and quasi-judicial bodies, such as the Delhi
High Court, civil district courts, the Intellectual Property Appellate Board and the Trade Marks Registry.
Currently, she is a Senior Associate at Sujata Chaudhri IP Attorneys.
Email ID sanya.arora[at]lawctopus.com
Terms & Conditions
- The sessions will be held in a live-only mode. Recordings will be available for 30 days after the completion of the workshop.
- The joining details of the online contest will be emailed 1 hour prior to the first day of the workshop. Please check your promotions/updates/spam folder.
- Certificates will be provided only to those who attend both the sessions.
- All participants must have a stable internet connection & schedule themselves to attend from a room with minimum disturbance.
- At the time of making submissions, participants must turn on their videos.
Want to learn more about Trademarks?