Lawctopus is organising a webinar on ‘Legal Publishing in India’ on July 10 (Friday), 5:30-7 PM.
Abha Thapalyal Gandhi completed her BA in Law from the University of Sussex in 1977 and LLM from the University of Southhampton in 1978.
Her editorial journey is truly illustrious:
1. Legal Editor, Eastern Book Company [1998-2003]
2. Commissioning Editor, Oxford University Press India [2004-2009]
3. Associate Publishing Director, LexisNexis India [2009-2012]
4. Director, Legal and Regulatory, LexisNexis India [2012-2014]
5. Guest Faculty, Legal Publishing, NALSAR
6. Language Editor, E-Pathshala, UGC
7. Publishing Director, South Asia Press, [2016-2020]
Please note that NO certificates shall be provided for attending this webinar. Please attend this webinar for your own knowledge and insights.
Topics the webinar will cover
Freedom didn’t make us desi silly!
- High Courts: Courts of ‘Record’ (Record=Publish)
- Organic link to English LegalSsystem
Law Publishing in India: Beginnings
- Growth of Litigation and the Legal Profession
- Need for the Record: How else could stare decicis work?
- Technology (printing) already in India
Lawyers and Litigation: Need for Accurate Legal Information
- Law Journals appeared
- Oldest still running Madras Law Journal (1861)
- Our beloved commentaries: (Many 1st published early 20th century): What was the point?
Flourishing of Indian Law Publishing Business
- Evolution of the Big Fat Commentary (Growing girth/30–40 years)
- 1970s to 80s: A different line of Books (critical analysis of the system itself)
The Digital Disruption: 1990s
- Radical Change: Primary Law suddenly available in Electronic Form
- Print still relevant
The arrival of Foreign Law Publishers
Motivations, achievements, lessons
Law Publishing: What Now?
- What kind of law publishing do we need today?
- What do we need to bear in mind when planning a book?
- Tips for would-be writers
Day, date, time: Friday, July 10, 5.30 pm-7 pm
Platform: Zoom (with appropriate safeguards and password protection in place)
Speaker: Abha Thapalyal Gandhi
Moderator: Tanuj Kalia (founding CEO, Lawctopus; author of ‘Law as a Career’)
Logistics: All our webinars start sharp on time. Participants’ audio and video will be on mute. They can ask questions via the Q and A box.
A joining link will be emailed to you.
Please note that no certificates shall be provided for attending this webinar. Please do it for your own knowledge and insights.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.