When I first heard of ‘library internships’, I was a little befuddled. Bemused. Bed-ridden. (Rolling on the bed laughing, you know).
Law library internships? Strangely, many first years of newly established law schools are doing these internships. Surely, they must be helpful; but well, how?
These are some reasons I could chalk out:
1. Library internships help you in developing legal research skills by making you better in findindg books. (Read that again in a slow deep voice). S.L.O.W. and Deep.
A-quick-shrill response will be “DUH”.
What the hell do you do in your own library?
2. You want to be a law school librarian. Cool. Stay put at the library for your second year and beyond. You can even do an ‘international’ library internship. Or an internship in the ‘library’ of a law firm; and a ‘library’ of an NGO etc. (You are meant to laugh at that).
3. You have never visited your own library and want the feel of the environs of a library.
That’s a good, solid reason! Go ahead!
4. Your girlfriend/boyfriend has turned into a nerd and now resides in that library where you are interning. Reason number four. Next.
5. The library like the NUJS library is open 24 hours a day. For investigative purposes, you want to check if books increase their thickness as the day passes (just like a man increases his height). Possible?
6. Your own law schools doesn’t have a library. Poor you.
7. You want to see first hand and soak yourself in the great, intellectual and famed library of the National Law School Of India University’s (NLSIU)!
I quit. Be my consultant.
Please tell me how how a ‘library’ internship helps you.
In your first year, intern with an NGO. Not in a LIBRARY.
Whatever you have to learn by sitting, reading and researching in a library can be done in your own law school’s library.
Internships are meant to give you a taste of the work environment, and no library offers that.
If you have anything to say to defend law library internships or my views on that; please put in a comment.
I am the Admin of Lawctopus. I am for law students, of law students and by law students. I am Torts and Contracts and moots and internships. I am your boyfriend! And your girlfriend too! Mentor. Friend. Junior. Senior. I am the footnote in your research paper. Foreword in your life. The jugaad for your internship. The side gig which earns you bucks. I am Maggi. Pocket money too.