The High Court of Meghalaya in Shillong is seeking to engage Law Clerk-cum-Legal Research Assistants to fill up 2 vacancies.
About the Meghalaya HC
The Meghalaya High Court is the High Court of the state of Meghalaya. It was established in March 2013, after making suitable amendments in the Constitution of India and North-Eastern Areas Act of 1971. Earlier, a bench of the Gauhati High Court had jurisdiction over the state of Meghalaya.
About the Opportunity
Applications are invited for contractual engagement of 2 (two) persons as Law Clerks for a period of 1 Year under terms and conditions mentioned in the Scheme for engaging Law Clerk-cum-Legal Research Assistants in the High Court of Meghalaya.
Number of Vacancies
Maximum age of the candidate as of 1st January of 2021 must not be more than 33 years.
- A candidate seeking engagement as a Law Clerk must be a fresh law graduate having a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (including an Integrated Degree Course in Law) from any University College/ Institution established by law in India and recognized by the Bar Council of India.
Explanation: A candidate having obtained Bachelor’s Degree in Law more than three years before the date of application may not be considered to be a fresh law graduate for the purpose of qualification.
- A candidate studying in the fifth year of the Five-Year Integrated Law Course will also be eligible to apply subject to furnishing proof of acquiring Law qualification at the time of interview.
- A candidate must have basic knowledge of computers including retrieval of desired information from various search engine processes such as Manupatra, SCC Online, LexisNexis, Westlaw etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
Without adversely affecting the generality of the job, i.e., to assist the Hon’ble Chief Justice/Judge, the Law Clerk shall perform the following duties, under the direct control of the Hon’ble Judge with whom he/she is attached:
- To read the case files, and prepare the case, i.e., case summary and notes and chronology of events in a comprehensive manner, including the legal questions involved, and the relevant case-law having bearing on the case.
- To search and research legal points and principles under the control and guidance of the Hon’ble Judge.
- To search out case law, articles, papers, and other relevant material required in the discharge of judicial/administrative functions.
- To take down notes of arguments and to prepare notes of cases.
- To identify facts, issues, and questions that may arise in the course of arguments, or as may be relevant for judgment.
- To maintain a record of judgments by the Hon’ble Judge along with the point of law decided in that particular case, and to maintain it in such a manner, as to be very conveniently retrievable. To maintain the record of administrative correspondence, administrative files, and, if specifically entrusted, of the particular judicial file(s)
- To assist the Hon’ble Judge in preparing any speech/academic paper.
A fixed honorarium of Rs. 15000/- (fifteen thousand rupees) per month without any dearness or other allowance/perquisite
Every candidate shall pay a non-refundable examination fee of Rs. 100/- (One hundred rupees), through Demand Draft or Postal Order, to be drawn in the name of Registrar General of the High Court of Meghalaya.
How to Apply?
- The application form is available on the website and can be downloaded from the link here.
- The application (duly filled up and complete in every manner), must reach the office of Registrar General, High Court of Meghalaya, Shillong on or before 7th May 2021 during office hours.
- Such application shall be accompanied by the copies of documents, as enumerated in that form.
Keep following our ‘Jobs‘ section for more such job opportunities.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.