Applications for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program (Scholarship) are open for Stanford University Graduate Program. This program offers 100 scholarships and citizens and residents of all countries are encouraged to apply.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars (herein referred to as ‘Scholarship’) program cultivates and supports a highly engaged, multidisciplinary and multicultural community of graduate students from across Stanford University, and delivers a diverse collection of educational experiences, preparing graduates to address complex challenges facing the world.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholarhip seeks visionary thinkers who are curious, open-minded, analytical, eager for cross-cultural perspective, and genuinely excited to boldly and creatively address our world’s important challenges.
There are no restrictions based on age, college or university, field of study, or career aspiration.
Citizens and residents of all countries are encouraged to apply.
The scholarship program does not require applicants to seek endorsements from colleges, universities, or other institutions.
There are two baseline eligibility requirements.
- In addition to applying to Knight-Hennessy Scholars, you must apply to, be accepted by, and enroll in a full-time Stanford graduate degree program. Each incoming Knight-Hennessy Scholar must be a newly enrolling student in a Stanford graduate program including, but not limited to, DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MPP, MS, or PhD programs. There are no quotas by discipline or program. Note that priority consideration will be given to those who will spend at least two years studying at Stanford.
- You must have earned, in January 2015 or later, a U.S. bachelor’s degree* or its equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing.
*Please Note: For Indian Students: The ‘U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent‘ means:
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine; OR
Four-year bachelor’s degree.
(Further Note: A 3-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. The 2-year master’s degree following the 3-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.)
|To apply to join the cohort in:||You must have earned your first bachelor’s degree by:|
|2022||January 2015 or later|
|2023||January 2016 or later|
If you have earned a graduate degree, you remain eligible to enrol as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar in 2022 as long as you earned your first/bachelor’s degree in 2015 or later.
Independence of Thought
Visionary thinkers who are curious, open-minded, analytical, eager for cross-cultural perspective, and genuinely excited to boldly and creatively address our world’s important challenges.
- Demonstrates mental sharpness and intellectual ability
- Seeks out knowledge and new experiences
- Full of original ideas
- Makes sense of ambiguity
- Can hold a contrarian or dissenting point of view
2. Purposeful Leadership
Courageous leaders who are ethical, decisive, resilient, driven to achieve meaningful results and motivated to inspire others to effect positive change at scale.
- Ambitious in service of a better world
- Driven to improve self and others
- Able to include and elevate others
- Self-aware and adaptable
- Persistent and resilient
3. Civic Mindset
Collaborative community members who are humble, empathetic, trustworthy, oriented to act in service of others, and deeply passionate about contributing to the greater good.
- Personally humble and kind
- Supportive and accountable
- Embraces difference
- Concerned for and helpful to others
|Application opens||August 1, 2021|
|Application closes||October 6, 1:00 pm Pacific Time|
|Finalist notification||January 26, 2022|
|Immersion Weekend||February 25-26, 2022|
|Decision notification||March 15, 2022|
Graduate Degree Programs and Deadlines
|Program||Application Opening Date||Application Deadline|
|MS in Physician Assistant Studies, School of Medicine||April 2021||August 1, 2021|
|MBA Program, Graduate School of Business||June 2021||Round 1 Deadline: September 9, 2021|
|MD Program, School of Medicine||June 2021||AMCAS Deadline:|
October 1, 2021*
Supplemental Deadline: October 21, 2021
|MA, MS and PhD in Education,|
Graduate School of Education
|October 2021||November 15, 2021|
|JD and advanced degrees,|
Stanford Law School
|September 2021||December 1, 2021*|
|Any other Stanford graduate degree program||October 2021||Program’s standard deadline or|
December 1, 2021, whichever is earlier
(*)*MD and JD/LLM/SPILS applicants: The deadline shown in this table corresponds to the date by when Stanford must receive your completed application materials. As it may take a couple of weeks for applications to be processed through AMCAS or LSAC, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application well in advance of the posted deadline.
Applying for the Knight-Hennessey Scholars Program
You must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars application will require you to indicate the Stanford graduate degree program(s) to which you will apply.
- Step 1: Start your online application for Knight-Hennessy Scholars and prepare application requirements. (Tip: Ask your recommenders early.)
- Step 2: Submit the online application for Knight-Hennessy Scholars by the deadline. (Note: You will not be able to edit once you submit your application, with the exception of test scores and recommenders)
- Step 3: If necessary, update test scores for Knight-Hennessy Scholars through your application status page.
- Separately: Prepare and submit all parts of your Stanford graduate degree program application by its deadline. Visit the program website to confirm its application deadline, program requirements, and any fees. Please review deadlines carefully as they vary by degree program, and some programs specify a separate application deadline specifically for Knight-Hennessy Scholars applicants
Again, you must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program.
Applying for the Stanford Graduate Program
Review the full list of Stanford’s graduate programs to ensure Stanford offers the program that you wish to pursue. Check out the list, here
Once you have selected a graduate degree program, visit the program’s website to confirm its application deadline, program requirements, and any fees. Please review deadlines carefully as they vary by degree program, and some programs specify a separate application deadline specifically for Knight-Hennessy applicants.
Your graduate program will be your primary affiliation, and the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will provide you with access to an additional community and opportunities tailored to scholars.
You submit two separate applications:
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars application
- Stanford graduate program application (Deadline will vary by program.)
The authorities can select you as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar only if a graduate program admits you to Stanford. The graduate program, however, may admit you to Stanford even if you are not selected as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar.
For more detailed information, visit the official website by clicking here.