Diageo is looking for eligible candidates for the job role of Legal Counsel – Specialist for its office in Bangalore.
About the Company
Diageo PLC is a British multinational beverage alcohol company, with its headquarters in London, England. It operates in more than 180 countries and produces in more than 140 sites around the world. It was the world’s largest distiller until being overtaken by China’s Kweichow Moutai on 9 April 2017. It is a major distributor of spirits and the world’s largest producer of Scotch whisky.
Diageo has a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. It has a secondary listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
About the Opportunity
The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice and guidance across a broad range of practice areas.
Roles and Responsibilities
Title Perfection and getting properties “sale ready”
- Review the real asset portfolio of USL at predetermined periods and identify non core assets in consultation with CRES.
- Study best practices and opportunities for managing non core assets undertake DD and ensure title perfection for all properties of the Company.
- Prepare long term plans for each property taking into account regulatory ,labour and any other local constraints .
- Organise title search and due diligence reports on properties as a prework
- Prepare and execute mitigation plans for identified gaps in title with help from finance and company secretary teams
- Prepare business cases for various sceanarios of real estate transactions and make suitable recommendations
- Coordinate various approvals for the business proposals as per SOA
- Estimate financial and time related risks to the plans and prepare plan B etc
- Maintain all critical data/records / information systematically for future reference/audit purposes
- Analyse, research and prepare documentations and provide strategic advice on a range of legal and regulatory issues in relation to all non core assets.
Real Estate Management
- Manage the sale documentation and negotiation for monetization of real estate properties of USL based on strategic plans of disposal / income generation
- Identify risks entailing breach of contract and apply risk mitigation plans
- Draft , review and negotiate lease and lease related agreements including letters of intent, subleases, lease terminations, renewals, lease amendments, assignments, etc. along with procurement partner
- Provide general legal advice regarding real estate transactions including due diligence, design and construction matters, insurance, tax, and environmental liability.
- Oversee and coordinate Lease Administration Team and events: incl. Coordinating all communications with Landlords and timely exercise of lease options, renewals and closures
- Maintain all critical date information including executed lease, projected opening, rent start, projected delivery date, actual delivery date, etc.
- Provide legal support to CRES for admin and property related work.
- Deliver on OP targets
- Manage overheads as per budget
- Lead/Support legal activities, to grow and protect USL’s reputation and business interests whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Minimise legal risk for USL in the areas of Anti-Bribery and Corruption and anti-trust using strong knowledge of these fast evolving areas
- Ensure that transaction risk (in the underlying business & in the negotiated documents) is contractually mitigated as far as possible to protect USL Diageo and that any remaining risk is understood by all relevant stakeholders
- Co-develop standardized processes with Sr. Counsel, incorporating best practices from the industry, and templates for the efficient and effective delivery of legal services and business operations partnering with the various functions as appropriate (Inc. procurement, secretarial, finance, HR etc.).
- Support initiatives in identification and interpretation of applicable and changing laws and regulations in all areas of business activity, and provide support for crisis management and taxation changes.
- Provide frameworks , processes and checklists and training to ensure effective adherence to legislative requirements in day to day Operations of CRES.
- the counsel is responsible for raising capabilities within the CRES team through training in the process of contracting, negotiating, compliance programmes relating to vendors and also support training on relevant policies and codes applicable to the entire supply team.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple complex legal projects across regions in India
- Ability to work with and influence senior stakeholders within the Company
- Ensure appropriate and relevant legal trainings to stakeholders.
- Establish fantastic relationships and drive the creation & implementation of tools to systemise key issues and bring simplicity to the market
- Effective and proactive business partnering delivering value to the business
Legal Liason and Litigation Support
- Coordinate with outside counsel for representation before courts, government agencies and/or other authorities and implement dispute resolution efforts and strategies, track and manage outside counsel costs
- Liaison with relevant Government offices and other competent authorities for seeking advice, clarifications and making representations on behalf of the company and if
necessary for documentations, follow up and keeping the record of the same
- Do the preparations on case draft; Coordination and Briefing / discussion with the lawyers for legal cases and to negotiate the fees structure of the advocates
- Coordinate and make arrangements required for Arbitration proceedings and provide
the required documents to appointed Advocate for proceeding of Arbitration
- Attend the meetings /conferences as and when required to value add into existing case management
Educational Qualification Required
Graduate /Post Graduation in Law from a reputed college
How to Apply?
- Click on the link given at the end of this page.
- On the landing page, go through the job description carefully and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the ‘Apply’ button.
- Click on the button and select your preference for applying for the legal role at Diageo.
🔔 Never miss an opportunity again. Get the emails you want in your inbox.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.