Delhi Police invites applications for the empanelment of Advocates/Legal Consultants for the purpose of providing legal assistance to the Investigating Officers of Delhi Police.
About the Delhi Police
The Delhi Police is the law enforcement agency for the National Capital Territory of Delhi. Delhi Police comes under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. In 2015, sanctioned strength of Delhi Police was 84,536 making it one of the largest metropolitan police forces in the world.
About the Empanelment
Delhi Police invites applications for the empanelment of Advocates/Lawyers for the purpose of providing legal assistance to the Investigating Officers of Delhi Police in the cases under the following heads:
- Offences Against the State;
- Offences relating to the Army, Navy & Air Force;
- Offences affecting the human body;
- Offences against property and
- Offences relating to documents and property marks.
- POCSO Cases;
- NDPS Act cases;
- MCOCA cases;
- JJ Act;
- UAP Act cases; and
- Any other case (s) with the approval of CP Delhi.
Number of Vacancies
A) In matters where FIR has been registered
- To tender legal advice to the Investigating Officers during:
(i) All stages of investigation i.e. from the registration of case to the filing of charge sheet. The work will also include help in drafting legal papers.
(ii) To provide legal advice in Bail matters and Misc. maters in various courts, including Hon’ble Supreme Court and High Courts.
- To assist the IOs in drafting questionnaire for seeking opinion from experts i.e. Doctors, Forensic Science Laboratories (CFSL & FSLs) etc.
- To discuss and share case laws, prominent Judgments of the Hon’ble High Court and Apex Court respectively.
- To assist the IOs in interpreting the laws, statutory rules and regulations and amendments thereof.
- To advise the IOs in preparation of the Final Report to ensure convictions.
B) Miscellaneous Matters
- To seek Legal Advice in the matter of complaints/references.
- To seek Legal Advice in the matter of application/cases registered u/s 156(3) Cr.PC.
- To seek Legal Advice in the matter of legal notice received u/s 80 CPC and 140 DP Act etc.
- To assist preparing replies to notices, received from various Commissions.
- Any other reference as per the requirements of Delhi Police Headquarters.
Note: The selected candidates i.e. the Legal Consultant shall render only legal advice to the Investigating Officers of Delhi Police at the Police Stations/Offices. They will not be required to conduct trials of the cases in courts of law.
- The applicant must possess a Degree of Law from a recognized University and must be a registered legal practitioner.
- He should have at least 5 years of practice in criminal matters, preferably trial court practices.
- Retired PPs and advocates having served or on government panels tendering legal advice in criminal matters may also apply.
Age Limit: The candidates should not be more than 65 years of age as on October 1, 2021.
Payment to Empanelled Advocates
- Sessions cases involving sentence of life imprisonment or death including cases under NDPS, MCOCA, UAP Act, POCSO & Sexual Offences: Rs. 12000/- per case to be paid in two stages.
- Rs. 6,000/- on assignment of case
- Rs. 6000/- on filing of final report
- All other cases with punishment up to 7 years or more: Rs. 10,000 per case payable in two stages, as above
- Rs. 5,000/- on assignment of case
- Rs. 5,000/- on filing of final report
- Bail Applications: For assistance is drafting reply to each bail application including anticipatory bail application in any court including Hon’ble High Court and Supreme Court: Rs. 1,000/- subject to maximum of three bail application as per accused in an FIR.
- Legal Opinion in matter prior to registration of FIR, Legal Advice in matter of complaints/ references, Legal Advice in the matter of Legal notice received u/s 156 Cr.PC: Rs. 2,000/- per matter
How to Apply?
Desirous candidates may download the Application forms from Delhi Police Website and submit applications from 10 AM to 5 PM in Room No. 623, 6th floor, Tower-II, New PHQ, Jai Singh Road, New Delhi w.e.f. October 6, 2021 till October 14, 2021 (on working days).
Note: The application form has been annexed to the official notification.
Fee Amoun: Rs 500/-
The application fee can be paid through Demand Draft in favour of “DCP/Headquarters, Delhi”.
- A Selection Committee shall be nominated by CP Delhi to shortlist the candidates and prepare a list from the willing applicants.
- The candidates so shortlisted based on their experience in criminal legal field shall be interviewed by the Selection Committee constituted for the purpose.
- The Selection Committee shall recommend a panel of advocates to the Commissioner of Police, for approval. The decision of CP/Delhi shall be final. No correspondence in this regard will be entertained.
- Intimation shall be sent only to the selected candidates.
- The advocates would be empanelled for a period of 1 year from the date of empanelment. The Selection Committee may extend empanelment for a further period of such advocates subject to the satisfaction of the Selection Committee and the approval of Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
For more detailed information as well as the application form, refer to the official notification (link given below).