NLUD through its Project 39A is seeking to hire 2 professionals for the job role of Associate (Litigation), in Delhi.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. We undertake litigation, research and communications relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health and death penalty (for more information, visit www.project39a.com).
About the Opportunity
The National Law University, Delhi (NLUD) through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, 2 Associates (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi.
The contract will be for one year initially and can be extended on an annual basis at the discretion of the University. The Associates will be responsible for working on cases being handled by Project 39A, primarily concerning prisoners sentenced to death.
Number of Vacancies
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders, mercy petitions and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist senior advocates and advocates on record.
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by Project 39A and carry out
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, their families as part of developing legal strategy in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case specific information and documents.
- Present the work of Project 39A at appropriate fora.
- Contribute to the research and strategic efforts at Project 39A as and when required.
- Organize training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Graduate with an LLB degree and enrolment with any State Bar Council.
- Those with full-time criminal litigation experience of two years or more at the appellate stage will be given preference.
- Ability to read/write/speak different Indian languages will be an advantage but is not mandatory.
These are full-time positions based in Delhi.
The compensation will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply?
- Interested persons may send their résumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in representing prisoners sentenced to death and the contribution that they see themselves making through this position.
- The statement of purpose must not exceed 500 words. The résumé and statement of purpose has to be sent by filling the form below and attaching the relevant documents.
Applications must reach us no later than June 15, 2021 after which the applications will not be accepted.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for online interviews and tests by June 18, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email. If you do not hear from the authority within 3 weeks after the deadline, please assume that your application has not succeeded.
For more information about the project, click on the link below.
🔔 Never miss an opportunity again. Get the emails you want in your inbox.
Disclaimer: We try to ensure that the information we post on Lawctopus is accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. You can trust us, but please conduct your own checks too.