Organisation name: iProbono
Position: Junior Program Analyst
Location: Mumbai, India
iProbono gives a voice to vulnerable and marginalised populations in India – enabling them to access justice, to participate in society and access basic services. Our vision is a just society that understands and values the voices of all, especially those on the margins. Our mission is to protect the most vulnerable and to secure equal access to justice and opportunity for all, not just those who can afford it.
We work towards social change in three ways:
- We strengthen the hand of civil society organisations advocating with and for the vulnerable and the marginalised through holistic legal support.
- We represent the poor and the vulnerable, in upholding their basic rights and expanding the ever-narrowing route to justice and equality of opportunity.
- We promote active citizenship and public support for the poor and disenfranchised by bridging the gap between community organisations and the private sector to highlight injustice, protect civil liberties, entrench human rights and end discrimination.
iProbono’s global outreach enables organisations to source assistance across jurisdictions. Our most active office is in India where we have built a culture of pro bono over the last 7 years. More details about our work can be found on our homepage and news section.
We are looking for a Junior Programs Analyst in Mumbai; a team member who will work closely with our Mumbai Program Lead/Advocate and Delhi Programs Team to provide end-to-end support on our transactional projects and enhance outreach to our partner lawyers and organisations.
This position would suit a dynamic individual at the early stage of their career, who not only possesses solid legal skills but a passion for social justice. We are looking for an individual who wants to build their career with us and be part of the iProbono for the long term.
The successful candidate will possess a legal qualification, a sound knowledge of the Indian legal system and at least 1+ years work experience in the non-profit sector or with a law firm. They will support the Programs team on the day to day responsibilities of our transactional and litigation projects and take an active role in the wider activities of iProbono in India.
They should be highly organized, with excellent English language skills as well as being a results-driven team player. They need to be a self-starter and able to work independently where required but provide an essential support function to the Programs Managers.
For detailed job description, click here.
- Documentation (updating iProbono in-house data base, updating and creating case notes, updating litigation management notes and dates of hearings)
- Supporting the Mumbai Program Lead with the litigation and capacity building outreach
- Collecting feedback from partner lawyers and organisations
- Attending court hearings
- Coordinating transactional projects
- Reaching out to non-profit and civil society organisations across Mumbai to initiate new partnerships
- Maintaining a tracking system to monitor outreach
- Organising meetings and workshops with the wider team
- Keeping track of legal news in relation to iProbono’s work
- Legal research (there will be opportunities to write for iProbono’s blog and other publications)
Skills and Experience
- A bachelors or Masters degree in law
- 1+ years work experience with a law firm, a non-profit or similar civil society organisations
- Applications from suitable fresh graduates are welcome
- Excellent knowledge of the Indian legal system or experience working with the legal sector
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and one South Asia language
- High level of proficiency with MS Office, database management and internet skills
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a small team
To apply, please email [email protected] with your CV and a short cover letter on why you are suitable for the role.